Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sv90)
    Yea of course but I don't want to make an overly quick decision on my uni choices just so I can a preferred accomodation in Notts. Am I right in thinking I'd have to firm Notts before I can apply for accomodation?
    Yep I'm pretty sure that's correct. What are your other offers? I'm sure some of us would be able to give you a totally unbiased ( :tongue: ) opinion on which Uni you should go to!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol and Southampton (Economics). Nottingham's the better in terms of reputation and stuff and I liked it when I went to the open day, Southampton was my insurance so is pretty much out. Gotta visit Bath I guess but I'd probably prefer Notts because the city is busier and the campus located closer to the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sv90)
    Bristol and Southampton (Economics). Nottingham's the better in terms of reputation and stuff and I liked it when I went to the open day, Southampton was my insurance so is pretty much out. Gotta visit Bath I guess but I'd probably prefer Notts because the city is busier and the campus located closer to the city.
    Yeah you pretty much summed it up in that post. Having studied in both Bristol and Nottingham, it really is dependent on your personal taste. A city university if very different to a campus university, but with Nottingham, you do get to experience a large city whilst you're studying at a campus university anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Yeah you pretty much summed it up in that post. Having studied in both Bristol and Nottingham, it really is dependent on your personal taste. A city university if very different to a campus university, but with Nottingham, you do get to experience a large city whilst you're studying at a campus university anyway.
    Out of interest, how did you find bristol compared to nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Out of interest, how did you find bristol compared to nottingham?
    As I said, there are very hard to compare as they are very different universities. I suppose I like Bristol as much as Nottingham in regards to the social scene, but I did not like the teaching methods at Bristol, especially having all your exams in Summer which is so much more stressful that having January and May exams.

ReputationRep:
    So I've firmed Notts and apparently I need to wait 48hrs before applying for the accomodation.

What's the difference between a standard ensuite and a large ensuite (beyond the obvious!) - is the extra space worth the extra money and are there any photos about etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sv90)
    So I've firmed Notts and apparently I need to wait 48hrs before applying for the accomodation.

What's the difference between a standard ensuite and a large ensuite (beyond the obvious!) - is the extra space worth the extra money and are there any photos about etc?
    The extra space is not worth the money apparently. I doubt the rooms will be that much bigger in a large ensuite to justify the cost.

ReputationRep:
    I asked this too - standard is 2.5m floor space and large is 3.5m

I've opted for the large because I want some extra space, and it works out at an extra couple of quid per week.

I went and viewed a studio which is apparently the same-ish size as a regular en-suite but has the kitchen built in, and it was mahoosive in relation to my room uni accom!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Are all the ensuites quite modern etc. When I went on the open day there definitely seemed to be a contrast between the rooms we saw in the catered halls (can't remember which one) and the ones we were shown in BGP.

Initially I wanted to go for a studio but it was suggested by someone on here that it's more secluded as you won't need to leave your room, which is true, hence my change to ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sv90)
    Thanks.

Are all the ensuites quite modern etc. When I went on the open day there definitely seemed to be a contrast between the rooms we saw in the catered halls (can't remember which one) and the ones we were shown in BGP.

Initially I wanted to go for a studio but it was suggested by someone on here that it's more secluded as you won't need to leave your room, which is true, hence my change to ensuite.
    Yeah I was thinking studio but would prefer the more sociable En-suite for the same reasons - I believe Martin_Jesusfreak on here is currently in a Studio and has advised against them on here recently... The rooms that I saw when I visited BGP were a lot more modern than uni catered halls but are obviously more expensive! I will find it hard to get together the money for next year to pay for both accom and food/going out/general spending money methinks...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Large ensuite is worth the money! I've had the same room (large ensuite) for 2 years now, and it literally twice the size of a standard ensuite. I can hula hoop (with a massive 42" diameter hoop) in the middle and there's still space around me. Everyone comes into my room and they always say how huge it is

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to think now.

How comparable size-wise is it with the studio? On the Notts virtual tours there's no large ensuite but there is one of the studios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Trampa)
    Everyone comes into my room and they always say how huge it is
    This is why I've opted for it - I want girls to leave my room and say to people on the way out - "wow, that really was huge!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    This is why I've opted for it - I want girls to leave my room and say to people on the way out - "wow, that really was huge!"
    Smooth :P I just opted for the normal en-suite, I'm not too fussed about having the extra space for 9 months...anyone doing English Studies out of interest?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.