Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was given this particular past year question to work on.

"In things fall apart, Achebe succeeds in showing that a sense of historical decay, continuity and rebirth are central to African society". What is your response to Achebe's presentation of the inevitability of change in the light of this comment.

I'm really at a loss on how to work on this one. At first I was thinking about agreeing with the proposition and then talk about the ogbanje(rebirth) for my first DP, Yeat's second coming for my second (inevitability of change) and finally Achebe's narrative technique(as in, how he "succeeds" in his presentation). I thought that was kind of flimsy though.

Anyone's got better ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, only the CW bot responded? I guess it's not just me who finds this question difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Song of Nephilim)
    So I was given this particular past year question to work on.

"In things fall apart, Achebe succeeds in showing that a sense of historical decay, continuity and rebirth are central to African society". What is your response to Achebe's presentation of the inevitability of change in the light of this comment.

I'm really at a loss on how to work on this one. At first I was thinking about agreeing with the proposition and then talk about the ogbanje(rebirth) for my first DP, Yeat's second coming for my second (inevitability of change) and finally Achebe's narrative technique(as in, how he "succeeds" in his presentation). I thought that was kind of flimsy though.

Anyone's got better ideas?
    lol I actually just finished reading this book last week as part of my leisure reading. The question is a question that requires debate, so you have to bring both sides of the argument and then come to what your opinion is analysing etc. You could talk about that quote right at the beginning of the novel "Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold" or something along those lines. You could also look at the church people who come to invade on the tribe and the inability of the tribe to cope it it. Espeically owonko (can't spell his name). In addition, talk about the images of decay if there are any, I can't really remember. Also Okwor was banned for 7 years, so try and analyse that and its significance. Sorry if this hasn't been helpful I actually haven't studied the play, I've only read it for fun.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2008

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.