Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right this has been doing my head in for ages (I am sad) and nobody I speak to can come up with a kind of conclusive answer (I am a loner). I was walking round Tescos the other day and was still a bit worse for wear from a particularly heavy night and had a thought...

Question: If you were in an average out of town supermarket (they're all about the same sized retail space approximately) and in this hypothetical situation you were the last person alive, just you in the supermarket, and the supermarket was completely locked. There is no means of escape, say there has been a nuclear explosion and there's fallout everywhere outside. How long could you survive on the contents before you died. Assume you have services (gas, water, electric) and can cook food in the restaurant kitchen, toilets work, the place has a bakery etc etc all the standard supermarket stuff. However the store warehouse out back is locked and you cant access it so you have to survive on what is on the shop floor (assume fully stocked). Also lets say its a tescos extra or something and has bikes, white goods, clothes, pharmacy, tvs, music, games.

So yeah... any ideas?

(I'm fully expecting a torrent of abuse telling me what a loser I am)

ReputationRep:
    impossible to say, a few years would be my first guess.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the plot for a film lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry Kisses)
    Sounds like the plot for a film lol
    Yeh, one that goes straight to DVD

ReputationRep:
    youd be able to survive till you died of "natural" causes i would assume, why, planning on something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lol some kind of horror film - Or maybe a bit of a 'lost' scenario where they gradually make their way around the shop and find new groups of people - particularly bitter conflicts in the marmite aisle.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how big the freezers are.

ReputationRep:
    All the food in the supermarket? I reckon there's easily a few years obviously all the fruit would go rotten and veg.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much food and drink there is. I'd say probably around a year.

ReputationRep:
    however long it takes to locate the painkillers and alcohol, overdose, drink myself to oblivion and die.

ReputationRep:
    Well all the fruit and veg would be useless after 1-2 months so you'd be living on a load of rubbish. But you'd die pretty quickly as you'd be drinking radioactive water. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    youd be able to survive till you died of "natural" causes i would assume, why, planning on something?
    Well I'm not so sure, things would go out of date. You'd have to prioritise what you ate because all the fresh stuff is going to go bad in a few days... then getting certain vitamins might be a problem. (though you could raid the supplements aisle)

If it's somewere like Tesco Extra then you'd be fine til you died I think as long as the food didn't go off and you don't mind eating jam and tapioca for the last years of your life.

If it was a Co-Op in some village then you would die pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Bottled water :p:

ReputationRep:
    a good few years would be my bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    Well all the fruit and veg would be useless after 1-2 months so you'd be living on a load of rubbish. But you'd die pretty quickly as you'd be drinking radioactive water. :p:
    there would be water in the shop though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    however long it takes to locate the painkillers and alcohol, overdose, drink myself to oblivion and die.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably die after a few days, from crashing into a wall at 30mph in a trolley.

ReputationRep:
    ok ok say the tapwater is pure and drinkable. most people i knew said they'd probably ride the bikes around for a bit and then kill themselves.

ReputationRep:
    you go crazy and club yourself to death with a packet of frozen peas after 4 years

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.