Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    however long it takes to locate the painkillers and alcohol, overdose, drink myself to oblivion and die.
    This.

You could survive for years maybe, but I'd go crazy within weeks living in a supermarket by myself. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I'd kill myself within a few weeks with no company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    Something I've thought about:

How long do you think you could last with John Motson walking behind you commenting on everything?
    your sig annoys me.
    WHY IS HE LYING THERE? i have to know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    Jeez guys, how hard is it to get a few heavy tins and smash a window to escape from the supermarket?
    You have done a spectacular job of not understanding!

ReputationRep:
    I'd put all the fresh stuff I could in the freezers asap...kep me going on proper food for as long as possible.
    That said, I reckon you could live for quite some time on pre-made canapes, thousands of bags of frozen chips and peas and jam.
    If it was an Iceland, ALDI or LIDL I'd kill myself straight away though. A tesco Extra would be the most fun, but a waitrose (Big one) would have the best food ...or maybe an M&S. Sainsbury's would be good too. ASDA...not so sure.
    Actually I'd kill myself if it was a morrisons too. The fake village shops and market stalls with bad lighting would drive me crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Aldi or Lidl would be boring it would have to be a Tesco for me.

ReputationRep:
    Reckon loads of you are putting yourselves down!!! 2 years?! AQA said 25 years.

I'd spend my days dismantling the tills and taking out all the laser barcode readers. Then i'd hook them up into some kind of crazy rave disco, stick a bit of NOW on the stereo. Then could quite happily dance it up for a while. Then i'd probably make my way over to the tvs and just watch films and eat icecream until I was sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    Well all the fruit and veg would be useless after 1-2 months so you'd be living on a load of rubbish. But you'd die pretty quickly as you'd be drinking radioactive water. :p:
    I think you mean 1-2 weeks, fruit doesn't last long at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiller)
    Reckon loads of you are putting yourselves down!!! 2 years?! AQA said 25 years.

I'd spend my days dismantling the tills and taking out all the laser barcode readers. Then i'd hook them up into some kind of crazy rave disco, stick a bit of NOW on the stereo. Then could quite happily dance it up for a while. Then i'd probably make my way over to the tvs and just watch films and eat icecream until I was sick.
    Do they have enough stock for 25 years?

ReputationRep:
    leave a tesco store in the island in 'lost' you'll find out =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    Do they have enough stock for 25 years?
    Well all that stuff in the freezers... I know that if you make things cold enough you can freeze some things for years and years. Also you're not gonna be moving around that much Vs ordinary living so you'd probably require far less calories day to day, so wouldn't each as much.

I think 25 years is quite ambitious but think about the sheer amount of food in a fully stocked supermarket. (yum yum)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oladz)
    no vit c = scurvy, try the effervescent vit c tablets in the medicine isle, plus its in frozen veg probably, AND if you were smart about it, you would take all the fresh food essentials and stick them in freezers for the future :P
    plus the vit C in the squash and pop ... the frozen veg ... as has been suggested filling what space there is in the accessible freezers with fresh produce is a sound plan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misteryom)
    I think you mean 1-2 weeks, fruit doesn't last long at all
    depends o nthe fruit - apples pears etc will last for months if stored in approrpaite conditions , you could prolongthe life of the bananas by storgage at optimum temperatures ...

ReputationRep:
    Depends how greedy you are really and how much you care about eating gone off food. Yum.

ReputationRep:
    oh...my god!!!! wow there's a thread on this, honestly...this is my like ultimate fantasy, getting locked in tesco!!! if theres ever a threat of nuclear bomb or severe weather thingy im going to tesco! i'd probably eat all the cream cakes first, then the like fresh meat and stuff...save all the pasta and rice and tins til last. our tesco has a sofa with a tv infront of it... =D dvd time! woooh. ok i think im more of a loser than you, feel free to say!

ReputationRep:
    p.s i didnt answer the question, probably tens of years at least. til you got food poisoning off the tins!

ReputationRep:
    If theres been a nuclear bomb, how do you have power/how is the water or air supply not contaminated.

I like being difficult, but in a perfect scenario (clean air, power, water clean) i would expect quite some time, although the solidarity could make you go crazy. I dont think there would be a problem with vitamins tho, you have tablets in the pharmacy department or toiletries.

ReputationRep:
    As long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive. I've got all my life to live, I've got all my love to give, I will survive. I will survive! Hey heyyy.

ReputationRep:
    i would build a moon rover type thing out of all the electrical appliances and then roam the earth in my radioactive proof suit - fighting demons with my vegetable peeler.

alternatively I would go to the mobile phone section and CALL FOR HELP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised we're only just thinking of freezing the fresh fruit and veg. That was the first thing I'd do.

If we've got clothes, I'd put mannequins in the window [or stuff the clothes with plastic bags] and do something with them to make it obvious that I was trapped in a supermarket, so if anyone found it, they'd know I was stuck in there.

I'd raid the duvets and cushions and pillows to make a mega-cosy bed.

I'd set up an obstace course around the wider aisles, and vary it, so that I had something fun and active to do.

I'd make pretend friends out of clothes/mannequins/etc, and send announcements to them over the speaker system, and pretend the shop was running as normal, but with me in charge. I'd have them sat in the coffee shop with cups of tea, and serving on the counters and tills, and looking at tinned tomatoes, and I'd have a little kid one hiding under a clothing rail, because it's funny when kids do that. I'd give them names and make families, and there would be a grumpy-dad one that I'd go and sympathise with about how rotten it is to be in a supermarket when you don't want to be. Occasionally, I'd go and talk to one of them, and pretend they couldn't find something, and I'd take them to it and wish them a nice day, and pretend that I'd done something I could feel good about.

I'd have to ration the chocolate and whisky. That would be a depressing task. Assuming I had a lockable room somewhere, I'd lock that kind of thing away, and allow myself to take one thing from it every month, and then not go near the room again until the next month. I'd hand the key up somwhere that I had no reason to go, so there would be less temptation.

I'd set up a cleaning rota, partly for something active to do, and also because it would be easy to neglect it.

At night-time, I'd keep the windows lit, so you could see my crazy mannequins, telling you I'm stuck in a supermarket, but I'd turn the main lights off, and go and hide in bed. I'd want he bed to be away from the main shop floor, but so that I could see it easily if I needed to. I think in Asda back home, they had offices a floor up - I'd sleep in one of those, so it's a bit less open and scary.

I'd go so insane, it would be unreal...

[Edit: provided I didn't kill myself in a burst of insanity, I think you could survive a long, long time in a decent-sized supermarket. It would be miserable, though. I'd get lonely because no-one else would be there, but I'd get paranoid that there was. I'd always have a large knife at the ready.]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.