Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could survive for at least 10 years.
    The first thing I would do is freeze all the perishable items like the meat and fruit and veg. After that it would be time for fun Playing on the trolleys, creating my own version of Supermarket Sweep, all that alcohol :love:, magazines, DVDs, music, games consoles... God you'd never be bored...slighty insane eventually, but you'd still have fun befriending Pier the French Stick e.t.c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiller)
    Reckon loads of you are putting yourselves down!!! 2 years?! AQA said 25 years.

I'd spend my days dismantling the tills and taking out all the laser barcode readers. Then i'd hook them up into some kind of crazy rave disco, stick a bit of NOW on the stereo. Then could quite happily dance it up for a while. Then i'd probably make my way over to the tvs and just watch films and eat icecream until I was sick.
    I thought it would be quite a long time food wise (got to love AQA), but my concern is air supply. I mean, those stores are big, and you wouldn't be running around or anything, but you can't exactly open a window without letting in a whole bunch of radiation, so I guess you would have to cultivate some serious plants in order to oxygenate the place, other wise you will suffocate within months I would assume. I mean you would have to calculate the oxygen concentration of the air, rate of respiration etc (which I am not going to do) but I can't see you being able to breathe the same air for much longer than a few months without it becoming devoid of oxygen.

So first thing is to get planting, and hope they have all the seasonal gardening stuff in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireythepinkfairy)
    I'm sure you could survive for at least 10 years.
    The first thing I would do is freeze all the perishable items like the meat and fruit and veg. After that it would be time for fun Playing on the trolleys, creating my own version of Supermarket Sweep, all that alcohol :love:, magazines, DVDs, music, games consoles... God you'd never be bored...slighty insane eventually, but you'd still have fun befriending Pier the French Stick e.t.c
    and Milky Joe coconut man

ReputationRep:
    Realisticly - The freezers would have lost all power, as would the lights, cookers etc. So not too long

But for the sake of the scenario - I'd say 10-20 years. Some tinned food has a bloody long life

ReputationRep:
    not sure.
    A year, maybe? Loads of the food would go off, I reckon :/

ReputationRep:
    Haha What food would you leave until last?

You can't have you last meal as something disgusting so you'd have to save you favourite food to have as your last meal before you die. I think I would have an Italian feast, Pizza, pasta ... nomnom

Also, when all the food ran out would you wait to die of starvation or kill yourself?

ReputationRep:
    as mum says:

"How long is a piece of string?"

ReputationRep:
    Probably a few years yeah. As long as you've got water, you can survive for ages. The only limiting factor is the food. If you prioritised and went for the fresh stuff first, and kept the tinned food for years to come, you could get by. Also bear in mind that you can really eat food past its Best Before date. It doesn't taste as nice (or it might taste better, depends what you like), but it's there, and in most cases, it won't harm you. Obviously you don't eat a pork pie 2 years out of date. If all else fails, eat what's left on yourself. I'm not really into eating humans, but if it was life or death...

On the other hand, if you're the only person alive, wouldn't you eventually get a little bored and decide to end your life before you reach your limit?

Edit: Just a quick note, you can buy tins of Tuna that last for around 4 years lol

ReputationRep:
    Why would you be a loser :s: it's an interesting q.

So I think probably around 2 - 4 years if you rationed yourself and ate the most-likely-to-rot stuff first.

I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to be. Except I'd wish there were a sewage system to crawl through underneath the supermarket, so I could crawl way out of range of fallout when all the food's gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil2008)
    I'd probably die after a few days, from crashing into a wall at 30mph in a trolley.
    haha

ReputationRep:
    Years.......

ReputationRep:
    The only way to answer this would be to look at the calorific content of all of the food. Then eat the most perishable first, like fruit and vegetables and meat, then you'd have to survive on rice and value lemonade for as long as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry Kisses)
    Sounds like the plot for a film lol
    I'd watch it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy)
    Why would you be a loser it's an interesting q.
    you're very kind

(Original post by lemily)
    I thought it would be quite a long time food wise (got to love AQA), but my concern is air supply. I mean, those stores are big, and you wouldn't be running around or anything, but you can't exactly open a window without letting in a whole bunch of radiation, so I guess you would have to cultivate some serious plants in order to oxygenate the place, other wise you will suffocate within months I would assume. I mean you would have to calculate the oxygen concentration of the air, rate of respiration etc (which I am not going to do) but I can't see you being able to breathe the same air for much longer than a few months without it becoming devoid of oxygen.
    With regards to the air supply problems and questions - all supermarkets are artificially ventilated because they require quite high air change rates possibly 6-8 air changes an hour. Within artificial ventilation systems you have a series of filters which remove dust and pollution so for the sake of argument consider air as infinite as well as water/power etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil2008)
    I'd probably die after a few days, from crashing into a wall at 30mph in a trolley.
    Lol! :laughing:

I think I could survive a good few years. :yep:

I'd probably survive as long as the pharmacy was stocked with the meds I needed! Once I'd used them all up, though, I'd probably end up offing myself.

ReputationRep:
    THAT WOULD BE SO FUN. Well, fun if I had like one particular other person with me. :3
    I think I could survive a few years at least. :P Basically until all the food was used up. If the freezers still had energy then I'd keep all the frozen fruit and till last, and the tinned stuff before that... otherwise I'd get horrible problems. :P
    It's the sort of question I'd think of too. :P

ReputationRep:
    Three years, if there were enough tins. I'd die of boredom after six months, probably.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, depends on how much tinned food there is in the supermarket and even stuff like that goes off after a few years so 4/5 years max i guess

After a couple months youd just be living on tinned food though...
    Probably get alcohol poisoning before i ran out of food personally though

ReputationRep:
    I would think about eight months with food, and then another month of slowly starving, then death.

You likely would never run out of water, though. Although you'd end up drinking alcohol when thirsty (I guess there are people here who do this anyway.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.