Turn on thread page Beta

anyone else hating biology? watch

ReputationRep:
    i can't stand it. officially understand nothing because it's all like chemistry and cells and EURGH. i don't know what i was expecting but i prefer the more like wordy side of it like at gcse. oh well its a science a level i should expect science but it is so hard. anyone else think this or do you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    I hated it, but I just treated it like a memory task. I certainly found it the easiest one of the sciences to study for - it doesn't matter if you don't understand anything (unlike maths, physics or chemistry), it's just a case of memorise, memorise and memorise.

ReputationRep:
    I find it much better than AS Chemistry tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Aww I actually love biology.. my favourite of the three subjects I do!
    I think it's because I've got a really good teacher though :]
    What I do hate, however, is that my college isn't doing the first exam in Jan, so I've got to remember *everything* until June

ReputationRep:
    I preferred AS Biology to AS Chemistry but it has completely reversed at A2. So far the topics I've encountered in A2 Chemistry aren't that much of a step up compared to AS so the progression is manageable to comprehend, which came to my surprise considering how big I found the jump between GCSE and AS Chemistry. BYB4 is a tough module in terms of how much there is to learn and understand, in particular the details of respiration, photosynthesis, neurones...etc.

The key with Biology is to understand what you are learning. I can guarantee that if you sit down, focus and concentrate when reading your notes, you'll begin to recall facts and get the jist of what is in front of you. Heck, you may even start enjoying it! The first module, core principles, is introductory biochemistry which is a bit bland compared to the other modules based on genes, genetic engineering and physiology. Nevertheless, you can pick up so many marks in that module since the same questions get recycled year after year just phrased differently.

If you need specific help with any topic, feel free to PM me and I'll try and help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm not liking Biology A2 level at the moment. The stuff from module 4 was interesting but now we've started some rubbish on Behaviour and Populations. Urgh. I still love Biology as a subject but I'm not liking the modules our school has picked for us because it's all going to be focused on Ecology from now on.

Chemistry is getting a lot more interesting at A2. I love the organic stuff and the next module looks cool with all the transition metals.

ReputationRep:
    no, im doing it at Uni

ReputationRep:
    How can you hate Biology? It's so interesting, even if there are some parts you don't like, you can pretty much something will take your interest in the next few weeks because it's so broad, you'll be studying something completely different!

ReputationRep:
    I think the AS seems fine so far - bit of a memory game, but nothing too hard.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    :itsme:

It's so boring :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm,theres a lot to remember and yes,I do find it a bit boring....much prefer AS Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    i really enjoy it, love it :p: help doing some of it at uni

ReputationRep:
    I loved doing my A level biology . Although we did have a crap teacher and most of us ended up teaching ourselves.......and we passed too!:woo:

(Original post by freecom2)
    I find it much better than AS Chemistry tbh.
    Me too.
    Or rather did.

I love biology.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, despite doing it at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it because my class is so slow, all apart from me and one other seem to be in a universe where nothing makes sense and everything has to be repeated to them so many times, ARGHHHHHHHH.

lol, but apart from that, biology rules .

ReputationRep:
    Nope, It's awesome!

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry and biology and i find biology much easier, and prefer it. 2bh its one of my easiest A-levels so far atm, its just memorisation. This will probably change tho :s

ReputationRep:
    i don't do it... i know a few people in my college who have dropped biology because they hated it though.

ReputationRep:
    It is a difficult A-level. Concepts are easy enough to grasp at AS, but A2 it's a lot trickier. It also takes up a lot of time, it being essentially a lot of memory work. But I did enjoy it!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.