The Student Room Group

Do my A-levels work together?

I'm in year 11 and I'm beginning to send in my sixth form applications. As of now I would like to study animation at university, but I've also strongly considered journalism, philosophy and architecture. The A-levels I want to take are Art, English Literature and Maths. I'm looking for insight on these choices as a combination, do they work well together and if I change my mind on what I want to study will they be applicable to other degrees?
For your courses, these subjects do work. Many people don't put maths and literature together because they're so different though.
Yes they do go together,
Original post by arbs2005
For your courses, these subjects do work. Many people don't put maths and literature together because they're so different though.

such waffle lmfao, 1/4 of my english lit class took maths
Reply 4
Original post by darcie1412
I'm in year 11 and I'm beginning to send in my sixth form applications. As of now I would like to study animation at university, but I've also strongly considered journalism, philosophy and architecture. The A-levels I want to take are Art, English Literature and Maths. I'm looking for insight on these choices as a combination, do they work well together and if I change my mind on what I want to study will they be applicable to other degrees?

I'm in y12 and doing the same subjects! (I do a fourth too but I will drop that next year). Personally I find the workload not too bad because maths and english are subjects you have been studying your whole life so having a lot of homework for them just feels... normal, and art I enjoy so I don;t mind the homework. Also, in my opinion having a varied range of subjects makes it less monotonous compared to taking all stem or all essay subjects
I plan on going into architecture and they're good subjects, the essay writing skills are useful too.
Maths and English are facilitating subjects so they can look good for a range of courses. Also, some people say that if you have art for a non-creative course it can help you stand out from other applicants
Reply 5
Original post by randomo123

i think they're right not many people take them together. the majority of people in my school take maths and only about 5 of us also do english
Reply 6
Original post by mymelo
I'm in y12 and doing the same subjects! (I do a fourth too but I will drop that next year). Personally I find the workload not too bad because maths and english are subjects you have been studying your whole life so having a lot of homework for them just feels... normal, and art I enjoy so I don;t mind the homework. Also, in my opinion having a varied range of subjects makes it less monotonous compared to taking all stem or all essay subjects
I plan on going into architecture and they're good subjects, the essay writing skills are useful too.
Maths and English are facilitating subjects so they can look good for a range of courses. Also, some people say that if you have art for a non-creative course it can help you stand out from other applicants

Thanks for the reassurance on the combination, it's really nice to hear from someone who has made the same choices.
I wish you the best for the rest of your A-levels!
Reply 7
Original post by arbs2005

Thanks for the insight
Original post by mymelo
i think they're right not many people take them together. the majority of people in my school take maths and only about 5 of us also do english

I dont know a single person from my maths class who does haha
Original post by randomo123

It's not 'waffle', im trying to give help from my personal experience. Not a single person from my maths class takes English, and only one person from my school who takes English does maths (but they're not in my class) and its a sixth form of over 200. Just trying to help

Heya!
I would recommend making an excel sheet with unis and courses you want to do and noting down their entry requirements (if there is anything specific you must have when applying). You can then compare the entry requirements to what a-levels you choose. I believe you should be fine with your choice for most of the subjects but it's a good idea just to go over the courses you want to do and note down what they require. Different unis and courses may have different requirements so it's better to check and note them down :h:

I hope this helps!
MIlena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hi there :smile:

Its great that you're already thinking ahead about uni! I would highly recommend taking a look at the entry requirements for the courses you are interested in to check that your Alevel options will be accepted. You can find these entry requirements on university websites. An example is the entry requirements to study architecture at Kent currently stands at AAB-ABB in any 3 A levels or equivalent qualifications (https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/4/architecture) . This means that as long as you meet your offer, the combination of Alevels you do wont really matter. This may differ depending on the university you want to go to so its definitely worth looking into it. In general I wouldn't worry about the combination of Alevels you do as long as they fit the requirements for your course and you have a genuine passion to study them.

Best of luck with Alevels! Let me know if you have any questions

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest