Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is the question:

Examine the importance of the elasticity of demand in a government decision to impose a specific tax on the buyer of cigarettes.

Is it asking me to list reasons for and against the importance of the elastcity of demand being an important role in the governments decision to impose a tax on tobacco users? and also alternative reasons like the government using the tax just to get easy money etc..

I'm just not sure if i'm interpreting this right...

plz help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jbyrne1989)
    This is the question:

Examine the importance of the elasticity of demand in a government decision to impose a specific tax on the buyer of cigarettes.

Is it asking me to list reasons for and against the importance of the elastcity of demand being an important role in the governments decision to impose a tax on tobacco users? and also alternative reasons like the government using the tax just to get easy money etc..

I'm just not sure if i'm interpreting this right...

plz help!
    Looks like an Economics question to me.
    Basically what it wants is how to determine how much extra cost the average smoker will bear before changing their habits (i.e. demand drops significantly). Remember addictive goods - especially those without ready substitutes - are usually inelastic. Users are less responsive to price increases due to the pleasure they derive from the good.

See if that helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.