Graphical Calculators Watch

This discussion is closed.
pumpkinstein
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a graphical calculator for my P4 exam in March, and that will also do for my Maths degree at University. Any suggestions for makes or models?

Thanks
manps
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have texas ti-83 plus
it's very very good

see here on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW
himurakenshin
Report 13 years ago
or you can try the casio fx-9750 (if i am not mistaken). It is much cheaper than the ti-83 and there is also a color version which is cheaper than the 83, but the ti83 is a very good calculator (however i don't like it)
Aitch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by manps)
i have texas ti-83 plus
it's very very good
I agree. The graphic capabilities of the TI-83 PLUS are very good. After a few days learning how to switch between polar and cartesian, zooming, and a few functions (like abs()) for your inequalities, it becomes a quick and easy way to check your manual work.

Some of the key layout is a bit odd after getting used to the configuration of the Casio scientifics, like having to SHIFT to get sqrt and ANS., but it's a lot better than the Casio fx7400G PLUS which I've used previously.

Aitch
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pumpkinstein)
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a graphical calculator for my P4 exam in March, and that will also do for my Maths degree at University. Any suggestions for makes or models?

Thanks

Be careful.

1) Make sure that your P4 exam allows Graphical Calculators !

2) See if you University has restrictions in place on calculators that:
(Original post by University of Sheffield)
a) have an alphabetic display of stored data (including text) or equations or alphabetic formulae; (models which produce alphabetic out-put only in the form of messages in the normal course of operation are permissible).
b) are capable of external programmability, whether by detachable modules or the insertion of cards, tape, bar codes or cassettes, or by any other means (other programmable calculators are normally acceptable).

I used to have a graphics calculator at school/sixth form, but had to switch down to a normal calculator for University, as if I'd continued using my Graphics calculator then I'd be useless on the one I've got to use now.
himurakenshin
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, some universities don't allow graphing calculators, most advanced courses do not allow as well, and graphing calcilators are quite expensive. are you doing p4 edexcel?
amo1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the good ones are casio fx-9850
casio FX-1.0plus
n the texus intrements 83/83 plus (silver edition)
himurakenshin
Report 13 years ago
ti-83 silver is the same as the ti-83 except it is faster and has more memory (1.5mb i think)
davidreesjones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have a casio fx-9850 plus which is very good and relatively easy to use - i found it especially good for doing doing statistics
vid
Report 13 years ago
which calculator's best out of the Casio FX1.0, Casio CFX9850G and Texas Ti-83?
Best = value for money, handiest and easiest to use.
i'm gonna use it for my further maths modules and then for university maths.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i recently got a TI83+ and im very impressed with it.

Got mine from here for £66.

http://www.oxford-educational.co.uk/catalogue.html
if you get one from here make sure to check the final price including VAT and Delivery.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?