Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just got home and realised that i left a plastic shopping carrier bag too close to my hamsters cage and hes chewed a big hole in it. i've checked his bed and around his cage but no sign of the plastic!!

what should i do if hes eaten it, which seems to be the case??

any ideas i'm really worried about him

ReputationRep:
    Aww, how cute!

It ain't toxic, he'll probably **** it out in a few days.

ReputationRep:
    i'm hoping so :-( he looked all sad with his ears down when i walked in...

i've given him some carrot and hes eaten that i guess thats a good sign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    i'm hoping so :-( he looked all sad with his ears down when i walked in...

i've given him some carrot and hes eaten that i guess thats a good sign
    Yeah!

If he does die from plastic poisoning you will remember never to leave a plastic bag by a hamster cage ever again!

ReputationRep:
    He should be fine...just keep an eye on him.

My rats have done that too; and with paper (in the night. Rustling. When I want SLEEP), curtains, clothes...lets just say there's a big gap between their cage and everything else now. D:

ReputationRep:
    yeah i plan to, just didnt know if there was anything i could do for him to stop him being poisoned or something bless him

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that the obvious danger would be him suffocating imediately afterwards, and obviously that hasn't happened.

Check his "bowel movements" if you can, to make sure it isn't stuck in the intestines

You never know, it could be likely that he tore it, (plastic bags are quite bad, it would have streched and made the tear look big like a hole, if you get my drift) opposed to chewed it

If you are really worried, ring up your vet and talk to the receptionist, but it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    yeh i've looked at the bag and i dont *think* theres an actual hole, just jagged edges, i cant see why he'd eat it, its not as if he hasnt got a bowl full of food in his cage!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.