The Student Room Group

Was applying to cambridge a mistake?

im applying for natural sciences at Cambridge but I'm starting to think it was a big mistake. The 2022 NSAA paper was a train wreck and im still recovering from that abomination. its funny because when i was doing the mock papers under timed conditions i was getting around 60% when i thought i did well, and i know this is a respectable score however the 2022 paper went so badly im expecting about 35% if im lucky. I think the MCQ's on section 2 really screwed me over as i was not used to the format :/

My a level predicted are triple a star and i guess my personal statement is decent, but i honestly think I have no chance after the admissions test. This is especially as it has a higher weighting than predicted grades in the admissions process.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by omgwha
im applying for natural sciences at Cambridge but I'm starting to think it was a big mistake. The 2022 NSAA paper was a train wreck and im still recovering from that abomination. its funny because when i was doing the mock papers under timed conditions i was getting around 60% when i thought i did well, and i know this is a respectable score however the 2022 paper went so badly im expecting about 35% if im lucky. I think the MCQ's on section 2 really screwed me over as i was not used to the format :/

My a level predicted are triple a star and i guess my personal statement is decent, but i honestly think I have no chance after the admissions test. This is especially as it has a higher weighting than predicted grades in the admissions process.

Do you think there's a chance i'll get invited for an interview or should i just stop being delusional since im naturally a slow thinker?

Hey! I’m in the exact same position. I thought I had a chance but then the NSAA was horrible.I don’t do a level maths which means there’s an even less chance of me getting in. Tbf our year group was hit by COVID so that might lower the average scores a bit? I think there’s a high chance you’d get an interview if your personal statement is good. Personally, I don’t think I’m going to get in because of the whole maths situation but I think if the rest of your application is strong then you would get an interview. Are you biological or physical?
Original post by omgwha

Do you think there's a chance i'll get invited for an interview or should i just stop being delusional since im naturally a slow thinker?

Hiya, I can't give you loads of advice but wanted to let you know that I'm literally going through the same thing, same course, same year, same grades. I'm applying for Physical btw. Bear in mind you might have done better than you thought and hopefully cambridge will take the newish format into account. (I'm praying they do at least!)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by starrynight01
Hey! I’m in the exact same position. I thought I had a chance but then the NSAA was horrible.I don’t do a level maths which means there’s an even less chance of me getting in. Tbf our year group was hit by COVID so that might lower the average scores a bit? I think there’s a high chance you’d get an interview if your personal statement is good. Personally, I don’t think I’m going to get in because of the whole maths situation but I think if the rest of your application is strong then you would get an interview. Are you biological or physical?

Biological omg isnt it this years exam was crazy hard
Reply 4
Original post by elpe
Hiya, I can't give you loads of advice but wanted to let you know that I'm literally going through the same thing, same course, same year, same grades. I'm applying for Physical btw. Bear in mind you might have done better than you thought and hopefully cambridge will take the newish format into account. (I'm praying they do at least!)

it sucks because i was feeling hopeful :frown: I hope you did well too. i did both chem sections and oh my god section 2 was so terrible ima just pray that I guessed correctly bc they weren't even educated guesses lmao
Original post by omgwha
it sucks because i was feeling hopeful :frown: I hope you did well too. i did both chem sections and oh my god section 2 was so terrible ima just pray that I guessed correctly bc they weren't even educated guesses lmao

Lol samee. Good luck to you too! I'm just hoping someone blessed my guessing skills before I went in cause I definitely need that! Section 2 was pretty bad for physics too. Then again, it's also not good when u do the first question in Section 1 and get none of the answers :frown:. I considered pulling my application but I'm holding out for the slim chance of an interview. Hoping they consider the rest of my application as strong...
Original post by omgwha
Biological omg isnt it this years exam was crazy hard

Me too! Hopefully we all get an interview as the average may be lower 🤞 good luck to you all!!!
Reply 7
Original post by elpe
Lol samee. Good luck to you too! I'm just hoping someone blessed my guessing skills before I went in cause I definitely need that! Section 2 was pretty bad for physics too. Then again, it's also not good when u do the first question in Section 1 and get none of the answers :frown:. I considered pulling my application but I'm holding out for the slim chance of an interview. Hoping they consider the rest of my application as strong...

I think you should definitely still go for it its hard to tell how well/bad you actually did. Easier said than done because i want to give up too, but we applied for a reason and hopefully everyone else also found it hard
Reply 8
Original post by starrynight01
Me too! Hopefully we all get an interview as the average may be lower 🤞 good luck to you all!!!

yes good luck to you too!!
Original post by omgwha

Heya!
First pat yourself on your back, you did the NSAA and that's already something to be proud of! Not a lot of people get to this stage so well done for getting there no matter how you did in your NSAA :h: Remember, NSAA is meant to be challenging to test you. You might still have a chance of getting an interview, perhaps you think you did bad but there is also a possibility you scored high. Don't predict your own failure just yet, there is still time before you find out if you got the interview (fingers crossed)! I wish the best of luck to everyone and hope everyone gets that interview!

Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
Ive been thinking the exact same. I applied for Natural Sciences (physical) and did both section 1 and 2 physics and found them so hard. I was struggling with the practice papers so I was expecting to find the real exam difficult but it was just hard because im also a naturally slow thinker. I had to blindly guess lots of the maths section and and a few physics ones too. Try not to worry about it though, im pretty sure an average score for this test is around 40% and thats for 2019 when COVID wasnt also an issue to think abot so it may be lower this year and cambridge say they interview around 75% of natural sciences applicants so theres a good chance youll still get an interview. Dont worry.Wishing everyone all the best for the application process. Good luck
Reply 11
Original post by Aidantm17
Ive been thinking the exact same. I applied for Natural Sciences (physical) and did both section 1 and 2 physics and found them so hard. I was struggling with the practice papers so I was expecting to find the real exam difficult but it was just hard because im also a naturally slow thinker. I had to blindly guess lots of the maths section and and a few physics ones too. Try not to worry about it though, im pretty sure an average score for this test is around 40% and thats for 2019 when COVID wasnt also an issue to think abot so it may be lower this year and cambridge say they interview around 75% of natural sciences applicants so theres a good chance youll still get an interview. Dont worry.Wishing everyone all the best for the application process. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest