Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I may have missed it but is anyone out there talking about the modern language tests timetabled for 11 December ?

there is one example per language on the Oxford Admissions site with no answers - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...f_written.html

- Can someone in the know say if the actual tests are much like the ones on line ? And what weight seems to be put on them ?

- Are there any other specimen tests available, anywhere ? Somebody started a thread asking this three years ago but it seems no one ever replied, so maybe the answer is no

and two daft questions

- If you apply for a language ab initio but not Russian (and really don't know any of it) are they likely to ask you to do a language aptitude test in addition to the normal test in the language you know

- if you have done/are still doing a third language (ie NOT one of the two you are applying for) but at a lower level - are they ever going to ask you to do a test in that when you weren't expecting it ?:eek:

Thanks in advance for any answers/info/thoughts etc

ReputationRep:
    The tests are fairly similar to the ones given online. Just make sure you know grammar (that's mainly what it's testing): so go over your A-level stuff as well as some extra bits and bobs. We were talking about the whole admissions procedure in a translation class the other day actually: my tutor claims that they play a role, but it's just *another* part of the whole procedure. He said that someone with an outstanding paper application and an outstanding interview with a dire written test would probably get an offer. He basically boiled it down to the fact that if it were between two applicants who were similar, but one did better in the written test than the other, that person would get the offer.

I tried looking for other specimen tests, even emailed them, but to no avail. Just revise your grammar and it'll be fine.

I don't understand your 3rd question. They can't make you do a test in a language you don't know at all: I think all wanting to study something ab-initio take the same language aptitude test though (don't quote me on that though).

No, they wouldn't make you do a written test for something you're not applying for.

ReputationRep:
    no1mohsin, you mention "other bits and bobs". Such as...?

I think it is very unlikely, and would be extremely harsh for them to test you in a language you are not applying to study/ even studying atm. So no. At least I hope not!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Basically what I meant in the third question was - if you are applying for Italian ab initio would they ask you to do a Language Aptitude Test in addition:woo: to the normal test for the other language that you want to do (and which you are doing at A level)

- I guess people who got in in previous years for ab initio Italian and another language already know (so what's the answer?)

but maybe the answer is no because on the site http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...f_written.html
    the language aptitude test listed for modern languages is definitely described as being for Russian. I think there are similar tests for Classics, Oriental Studies and maybe something for Linguistics but hopefully not for the gentle souls who want to learn Italian.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I have the same question, I am applying for a language ab initio so will I need to sit a test?
    I sent them an essay in french to show my aptitude in another language PLEASE tell me that means no french test!

I think the Language aptitude test is predominantly geared towards those wanting to do either Linguistics or an entirely new language which is veeery different from other languages you may already have learned (i.e. languages with a non-Latin alphabet). Some colleges tell you which tests you're required to sit (Jesus told me I'd have to do both the French and Language aptitude tests for French and Linguistics in the letter with interview dates etc.), but if you haven't heard anything it might be worth sending them an email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesinge140)
    no1mohsin, you mention "other bits and bobs". Such as...?

I think it is very unlikely, and would be extremely harsh for them to test you in a language you are not applying to study/ even studying atm. So no. At least I hope not!!
    Hard to say really. Just get a decent grammar book and turn to a random page and read something that interests you. It might sound boring but just these little things are worth knowing before your grammar test. Like 'gens' taking the feminine adjective if it precedes it but if it comes after, then it doesn't. It might be (fairly) obvious but things like that trip up a few people, especially under stressful conditions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.