The Student Room Group

Physics at uni

Hi all. I am in year 11 and am required to submit my a level choices in a week. I am still undecided on wether to take physics A level, as I am somewhat considering it at Uni. However, I already have maths, further maths, bio, chem. I think that by taking maths and further maths it shouldn’t be too hard to transition into studying physics at university, if I am alresdy studying maths, but I’m not sure. If one has a solid maths foundation, with maths and further maths a level, and are studying maths at uni, is is difficult to switch to physics?
Original post by Fermat42647
Hi all. I am in year 11 and am required to submit my a level choices in a week. I am still undecided on wether to take physics A level, as I am somewhat considering it at Uni. However, I already have maths, further maths, bio, chem. I think that by taking maths and further maths it shouldn’t be too hard to transition into studying physics at university, if I am alresdy studying maths, but I’m not sure. If one has a solid maths foundation, with maths and further maths a level, and are studying maths at uni, is is difficult to switch to physics?

if you want to study physics at uni, you'll need to have studied it at a level.
Original post by Firiridirirriie
if you want to study physics at uni, you'll need to have studied it at a level.

Second that, if it's what you want to study at uni then I would drop bio for physics ASAP.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Second that, if it's what you want to study at uni then I would drop bio for physics ASAP

The problem is that I’m unsure wether I want to study physics at uni or bio at uni. If I have taken two maths a levels, then is it difficult to transition to physics later on at degree level or not?
The problem is that I’m unsure wether I want to study physics at uni or bio at uni. If I have taken two maths a levels, then is it difficult to transition to physics later on at degree level or not?

Very difficult, I don't know anyone in the business who did this. If you miss A level physics its going to be near impossible to take physics at university without some kind of extra study period in between.
Have a look at the entry requirements on the Uni websites for courses you are interested in.

Also, have a good look at the A level specifications to understand what you will cover. This may help with your decision to take either Physics or Biology.

Hey, I am a second year studying Physics and Philosophy at Nottingham.

If you're considering either physics or biology, then it is probably helpful to take those at A level as most courses will have these as requirements; but certainly check just in case. Although further maths would be helpful in transitioning to university, it is not necessary. I didn't take further maths during sixth form, and I didn't find the transition too difficult. At Nottingham, you take an introduction to maths module in first year (physics) that does a really good job of getting you to a level where you can feel confident going into second year.

It is worth noting that you wanted, for example, take further maths at AS level and take Maths, Physics, Biology for A level.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know :smile:

Jonah

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.
If you are unsure about what to do and want to keep up a few different subjects then natural sciences could be a good option.
It works a bit differently at each uni but at Nottingham you can take 3 subjects in your first year then drop down to 2 in your second and third year. It is more flexible than straight science courses and allows you to keep up a few things you're interested in too.

With your A levels you could study:
Biology
Cancer science
psychology
Maths
physics (only if you ended up taking the A level)
ecosystems and environment
earth sciences

I have left a link below if it sounds like something that might interest you and if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/natural...-us/index.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending