The Student Room Group

Should i apply to Cambridge if i took 3 years to do alevels

Currently i am retaking year 12 as i did poorly last year and im considering doing natural sciences/bio med at uni.I just wanted to know if there is still a possibility to get in to Cambridge or if i shouldn't waste my time applying.Also has anyone heard of people getting into Cambridge despite resitting alevels with no extenuating circumstances?
Cambridge isn't keen on students 'resitting a levels' as they don't offer resits at the university and they believe if you need a resit for a levels, you wont be suitable for Cambridge. I don't know how they feel about repeated year 12, I would email a college admissions team and ask, there's nothing to lose in asking questions.
Original post by berc9
Currently i am retaking year 12 as i did poorly last year and im considering doing natural sciences/bio med at uni.I just wanted to know if there is still a possibility to get in to Cambridge or if i shouldn't waste my time applying.Also has anyone heard of people getting into Cambridge despite resitting alevels with no extenuating circumstances?

Did you sit your AS levels in all subjects and do very badly, hence restarting the courses? Why did you sit AS levels if you were taking the A level - is this a school requirement?
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Did you sit your AS levels in all subjects and do very badly, hence restarting the courses? Why did you sit AS levels if you were taking the A level - is this a school requirement?

I ended up failling chemistry in my end of year mocks in year 12 so I was basically forced to move schools and redo year 12 or I would of had to drop chemistry and only do two alevels(biology and philosophy).
Original post by berc9
I ended up failling chemistry in my end of year mocks in year 12 so I was basically forced to move schools and redo year 12 or I would of had to drop chemistry and only do two alevels(biology and philosophy).

If you are taking chemistry, biology and philosophy then you wouldn't really be a competitive candidate for natsci at Cambridge anyway. Nearly all offer holders have taken three sciences/maths at A level. It's possible, but unlikely to receive an offer based on doing only two A levels - your only option would be bio natsci (not physical), and the chances are further reduced because of the performance in chemistry. Even though you haven't failed/done very badly in a public examination for chemistry, you'd still have to explain why you're doing a third year of sixth-form, so it would become apparent from that.

Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending