Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would illness make someone less attractive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    See this might automaticly seem like Im being harsh but I was talking to a friend today who said that Im being shallow and nasty judging a potential girlfriend on her health, but how many people judge potential partners on their looks? Almost everyone! People cannot help what they look like any more than they can help their health really so why am I being harsh taking their health into consideration? Its nature/survival of the fittest people want to choose healthy attractive partners.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by health? Like, cancer? AIDs? Or just a cough?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what illness. Syphilis would probably put me off someone, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    See this might automaticly seem like Im being harsh but I was talking to a friend today who said that Im being shallow and nasty judging a potential girlfriend on her health, but how many people judge potential partners on their looks? Almost everyone! People cannot help what they look like any more than they can help their health really so why am I being harsh taking their health into consideration? Its nature/survival of the fittest people want to choose healthy attractive partners.
    On her health? What is she, dead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symph)
    What do you mean by health? Like, cancer? AIDs? Or just a cough?
    well.. health, the unhealthier they were the less chance they would have. I guess having a good personality or being stunning could over ride poor health but Im just saying I don't see how it is nasty to take health into account along with everything else.

ReputationRep:
    I've worried about this a lot recently... my health's been a nightmare these past three years, although before that I was super-healthy, muscly, sporty, etc. Part of it has been genetics but most of it was my own stupid fault.

I guess I've worried about it because I am a bit shallow in that I do take a girl's health into consideration on some level and it affects how attracted I am to them.

I don't wanna be alone forever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    well.. health, the unhealthier they were the less chance they would have. I guess having a good personality or being stunning could over ride poor health but Im just saying I don't see how it is nasty to take health into account along with everything else.

lol your funny, who really thinks about that

ReputationRep:
    Of course it ******* does. I'd never go out with a ******* spacker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unisucks)
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    well consider this: would you go off someone who was fine and great when you asked them out, but deteriated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unisucks)
    How about you find something constructive to do with your time, rather than trolling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
    :lolwut:
    LOL I love that smiley! Rep coming your way!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I imagine having leprosy would make you less attractive, what with your skin dropping off...
    Or Treacher Collins.
    Or Smallpox...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tariqé)
    LOL I love that smiley! Rep coming your way!
    Ooh, thank you :teeth:

I love that smiley too, it's much quicker than writing "what the hell have you been smoking?" a dozen times a day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
    Ooh, thank you :teeth:

I love that smiley too, it's much quicker than writing "what the hell have you been smoking?" a dozen times a day!

I don't like that one though... scareded me

ReputationRep:
    Not really, my boyfriend gets migraines quite a lot and often has to stay in bed for a day, and I had an ex who couldn't walk 100yards without needing an inhalor!

Saying that, it's a lot less stressful without having to worry. My boyfriend makes up for it by loving me during my time of the month.

I don't think you are being harsh at all. if you are going to enter a long term relationship major health issues may play a role in how much you like her.

And before anyone claims i am being harsh as well ; i suffer from a hell of alot of problems due to having Marfan syndrome. I have thought in the past what i would think if i switched place, e.g. the guy i liked chose my best friend over me, i dont blame him though, she and i are very similar apart from she is able to do sports and do just about anything without having to check wheter her heart can take it, or if its going to affect her in any way.

Having said that, if you feel you love someone then their health condition shouldnt matter, you should want to stick by them regardless

ReputationRep:
    my girlfriend recently has picked up a limp, its not pretty to watch and if things don't pick up i have some thinking to do.:call2:

ReputationRep:
    A guy so much as sneezes in my presence and I am out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.