The Student Room Group

Nursing Proficiencies help

Hi,

I'm going through my pad and matching up what each proficiency is with the proficiency according to the NMC.

I have most of them however the following I don't have and wandered if anyone knows or could give me some indicators on how they can be achieved :smile:

Thank you very much in advance!

- Utilises appropriately available evidence-based tools and opportunities to promote the health and well-being of the individual, their families and carers

Demonstrates understanding of the need to support and educate the individual, their families and carers about their condition and its management

Under supervision demonstrates the ability to understand and utilise the existing range of care planning tools to support the delivery of individualised care

Under supervision demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to effectively provide high quality evidenced-based essential care, involving the individual where appropriate

Participate in the evaluation of care provided in partnership with the individual where appropriate

Under supervision participate in modifying the care plan based on the evaluation
Original post by SophiaJ22
Hi,

I'm going through my pad and matching up what each proficiency is with the proficiency according to the NMC.

I have most of them however the following I don't have and wandered if anyone knows or could give me some indicators on how they can be achieved :smile:

- Utilises appropriately available evidence-based tools and opportunities to promote the health and well-being of the individual, their families and carers

Demonstrates understanding of the need to support and educate the individual, their families and carers about their condition and its management

Under supervision demonstrates the ability to understand and utilise the existing range of care planning tools to support the delivery of individualised care

Under supervision demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to effectively provide high quality evidenced-based essential care, involving the individual where appropriate

Participate in the evaluation of care provided in partnership with the individual where appropriate

Under supervision participate in modifying the care plan based on the evaluation

@Emily_B [br] [br] [br] What year are you in as a student nurse at university ..!!!

The Nursing and Midwifery Council
https://www.nmc.org.uk pri...PDF
Future Nurse: Standards of
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B [br] [br] [br] What year are you in as a student nurse at university ..!!!

The Nursing and Midwifery Council
https://www.nmc.org.uk pri...PDF
Future Nurse: Standards of

1st year :smile:

Early days then :smile:

Have a look at each of those proficiencies and think about opportunities and interactions you may have on placement which might fit those.

For example: "Utilises appropriately available evidence-based tools and opportunities to promote the health and well-being of the individual, their families and carers" for this there's loads of things you could consider. Think about the various assessment tools that we use when admitting patients to services, MUST, Waterlow etc. Consider health promotion etc.

Have you started placement yet? If not, you'll likely find there's lots of opportunities for you to get ideas on how to tackle these. Explore the underpinning evidence for the tools and interventions that are used, it can be quite interesting.
Hi,

So you are first year student nurse.
You have plenty of time to learn all your proficiencies as not expected to learn everything in a matter of weeks of starting your course.

Hopefully when you are on your placement you'll pick up more information about the things you are asking about by asking your placement supervisor and speaking with the qualified nurses.

Agree with what the person said in post 4 to you.
Do more research on the information you are asking about as should be helpful for you.

Thanks.
So as you just started your student nursing course you will have ample time to learn all your proficiencies and anything else you need to know.
Like moonkatt said in there reply to you try to ultilises any appropriate evidence tools to your opportunities.

If you are unsure about things then talk about it with your placement mentor/ supervisor and other staff as they should be able to help you with any questions you need answering.
Same goes if you are currently at university for your studying work ask your course leader as they are supposed to be there for you.

Quick Reply