The Student Room Group

why do some unis not do architecture?

it really surprised me that unis like oxford and durham don't do architecture, is there a reason why?
Lots of unis don't offer lots of courses. Probably because they don't have the time, space, money, or expertise to. Just look how few offer dentistry!

Architecture is also probably an expensive course to run with the studio space demands and material requirements for students, plus lots of software licenses etc. It also has a lot of accreditation requirements and being a professional rather than purely academic course, its "worth" is very strongly tied to the uni's ability to place graduates in the industry, which is harder with a new course.

For Oxford specifically they would also be competing with Cambridge and the Bartlett for many of the same students, both of which are far more well established now - they'd be "splitting the vote" and not in their own favour.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there isn't a single university in the country which offers every course.

As far as I can see, Oxford doesn't have an architecture department at all, so it wouldn't just be a question of getting their existing research staff up to speed with teaching undergraduates and writing a course spec, they simply have nobody who could teach it. (This wouldn't be a reason for, for instance, why they don't offer a natural science degree, or a degree in history with geography).
Original post by mymelo
it really surprised me that unis like oxford and durham don't do architecture, is there a reason why?

There are over 50 universities that do offer architecture so you still have lots of choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending