The Student Room Group

how can filtration be used to make a compound? Is this an error on BBC Bitesize KS3?

how can filtration be used to make a compound? Is this an error on BBC Bitesize KS3? un-watch this thread

I read this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zstp34j/articles/zngddp3

"To break apart the elements in a compound, a chemical reaction must take place, for example, electrolysis or thermal decomposition. However, when elements make a compound through a physical process such as filtration or boiling, it is impossible to separate them."
"

Though filtration is "A technique used to separate an insoluble solid from a pure liquid or a solution."

So how can filtration make a compound?

Is there an error in their paragraph?

Should it read, "When elements make a compound, then it's impossible to separate them through a physical process such as filtration or boiling"?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gazbo1
how can filtration be used to make a compound? Is this an error on BBC Bitesize KS3? un-watch this thread

I read this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zstp34j/articles/zngddp3

"To break apart the elements in a compound, a chemical reaction must take place, for example, electrolysis or thermal decomposition. However, when elements make a compound through a physical process such as filtration or boiling, it is impossible to separate them."
"

Though filtration is "A technique used to separate an insoluble solid from a pure liquid or a solution."

So how can filtration make a compound?

Is there an error in their paragraph?

Should it read, "When elements make a compound, then it's impossible to separate them through a physical process such as filtration or boiling"?

BBC bitesize is correct.

What it means is once the two (or more) elements have reacted, you can’t split the product back into the elements using filtration/boiling, because there is now chemical bonding between the elements. Filtration only works when the substances don’t have any form of chemical bonding between them (i.e sand in water).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
BBC bitesize is correct.

What it means is once the two (or more) elements have reacted, you can’t split the product back into the elements using filtration/boiling, because there is now chemical bonding between the elements. Filtration only works when the substances don’t have any form of chemical bonding between them (i.e sand in water).

I agree that filtration won't split a compound.

But look at the sentence I am talking about, it says "when elements make a compound through a physical process such as filtration or boiling, it is impossible to separate them."

Look at the English.

It speaks of elements making a compound through the physical process of filtration.

Can you not see it is saying that when you read the words it says?!

If it had said "when elements make a compound, THEN a physical process such as filtration or boiling, won't separate it." Then that'd be another matter that'd be fine but it doesn't say that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gazbo1
I agree that filtration won't split a compound.

But look at the sentence I am talking about, it says "when elements make a compound through a physical process such as filtration or boiling, it is impossible to separate them."

Look at the English.

It speaks of elements making a compound through the physical process of filtration.

Can you not see it is saying that when you read the words it says?!

If it had said "when elements make a compound, THEN a physical process such as filtration or boiling, won't separate it." Then that'd be another matter that'd be fine but it doesn't say that.

Fair point. Clearly I need my eyes tested.

I had failed to notice that there wasn’t a comma between ‘compound’ and ‘through’, thus adding ambiguity to the statement.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest