English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

Scroll to see replies

yeah definitely, it depends what you’re looking to do tho. they’re gonna look/ care about your a levels and personal statement more.
Original post by Anonymousnumber
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

Which degree? Oxford look far more at GCSEs and these are a bit low depending on your school.
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

how'd you revise for RE?
Depends, which course are you going to be applying to?
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

9s and 8s are A*s. So that's 3 A*s, 4As and 3Bs, which I doubt they'll have a problem with. They should focus more on your A Level predicted grades, the results of any tests you take, your interview, your extra reading, relevant extracurricular activities, etc.
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree? Oxford look far more at GCSEs and these are a bit low depending on your school.

oh really i didnt know wow oh my god
Lots of info here about applying to Oxford and Cambridge - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Oxford_or_Cambridge_(aka_Oxbridge)
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

depends what course and what school these grades were achieved at.
Original post by billybob234
what school these grades were achieved at.

Perhaps you could clarify exacly what you mean by this.
Original post by McGinger
Perhaps you could clarify exacly what you mean by this.

They judge your grades in the context of where they were sat in order to assess potential.
There are many private/grammar schools where most of the pupils get 8s/9s so if you went to a school like that you wouldn't look as strong with several 6s and 7s and so would appear to have less potential.
However if you went to a school where most people struggle to get 4s in their GCSE's and you got those grades then they would judge you to have lots of potential and would see these grades as very good.
They judge your grades in the context of where they were sat in order to assess potential.
There are many private/grammar schools where most of the pupils get 8s/9s so if you went to a school like that you wouldn't look as strong with several 6s and 7s and so would appear to have less potential.
However if you went to a school where most people struggle to get 4s in their GCSE's and you got those grades then they would judge you to have lots of potential and would see these grades as very good.

Wdym lots of 6s I only got 3 grade 6s
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
i think they were explaining hypothetically. the main point is if your school is relatively underperforming your grades are more than fine. really depends on how your school does on average

You still haven't answered what degree course you would be applying to there and that does make a big difference in some cases. Nobody can properly advise you if you do not provide all the required information.

I said you had several 6s and 7s

3x grade 6s and 5x grade 7s means that these are your most common grades.
I said you had several 6s and 7s

3x grade 6s and 5x grade 7s means that these are your most common grades.

So are we going to ignore my 3x 8-9 grades nice
(edited 1 year ago)
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

Congratulations 🎉
(edited 1 year ago)
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

I think those are decent GCSEs, however, there will be lots of competition at any university especially Oxbridge
(edited 1 year ago)
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

These are really good GCSEs, so well done.
However according to the uniguide ...
"Do Oxford care about GCSEs?
Yes, your grades will need to really dazzle. GCSEs are seen as evidence of work ethic and you need a really strong one of those to cope with studying at Oxford or Cambridge. Our 'guesstimate' is that the average successful applicant has around eight 8/9 grade GCSEs under their belt."
That said, as previous people have commented, they will look at your GCSE grades in the context of your school and this consideration is just one part of a much broader application process, so all is not entirely lost.
RE 9
Geography 8
Media 8
Maths 7
English literature 7
German 7
Art 7
Combined science 7,6
English language 6
Food 6

So like 8A’s and 3Bs.

Heya!
You definitely stand a chance for Cambridge :h: However, the application also consists of a-level grades, PS, admissions test and interview so you need to do good across all of them as well! Oxford is pickier regarding GCSEs and would usually want all 8s. What course/uni do you want to go into specifically? Overall your GCSE grades are really good and fill suit a ton of unis!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest