Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah i give blood. i've only done it once, but i'm trying to fight my fear of needles as i want to be a midwife so its something i kinda need to get over! i found it didn't hurt once the needle was in... but my blood flow was really slow so i had to squeeze a stress ball, when i did that it hurt but other than that, its all good!

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing it...

just trying to get over my fear of needles...

I'm on the organ donor register though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    What about people who can't give blood, have never been able to, but need it anyway?
    Sorry, I should have clarified my position. I do, of course, exempt those people who are unable to give blood for medical, or deep felt personal reasons from my statement.

ReputationRep:
    i do it's ok not as painful as i thought it would be i now have a "special" red card which means i've donated 1-4 times (2 really) i can't wait til i get the "PLATINUM" LOL card not really it's just like a lifetime blood giver card which is the top rank of cards to own oooooh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireflower)
    Hey does any one on :tsr: give blood just wondering as was my third time tonight and am in bit on pain now! x :aetsch:
    No I haven't thinking of possibly donating once. I think it's all a bit weird taking blood from one and giving to another. Same with organs. Eurgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    No I haven't thinking of possibly donating once. I think it's all a bit weird taking blood from one and giving to another. Same with organs. Eurgh.
    Yes it probably is a bit weird. But I'm sure you'd be grateful for someone else's blood if, as I hope never happens, you require the services of someone elses blood.

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood about 8 or 9 times I think. I go pretty much as often as you're allowed to. I find it quite theraputic lying in the chair with the needle in, for some reason. It's also a GREAT hangover cure. Dunno why. The only sore bit is that little thing they cut your thumb with... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I Have given blood twice now, second time i fainted because i hadn't eaten enough before. I hope i am allowed to again. am i the only one who hasn't been given a red card because my friend has one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    By all means correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't bone marrow donation operations carried out in private hospitals? I think they are if you are on the Antony Nolan Register.
    I think its a mixture of private and NHS.

ReputationRep:
    No.Nobody is sticking a needle in me.

ReputationRep:
    giving blood gives me a sense of good being and that i have saved somebody's life. it really is amazing.....GO DO IT

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood once at work. I was told not to drink afterwards, but being the idiot i am, i had to disobey. I got hammered.

Can anyone explain why that happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makavelli_07)
    I gave blood once at work. I was told not to drink afterwards, but being the idiot i am, i had to disobey. I got hammered.

Can anyone explain why that happened?
    I'm no doctor but...You would have less blood then normal and so any alcohol you drink will be more concentrated in the blood.
    Less blood +plus normal alcohol = Getting drunk faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    I'm no doctor but...You would have less blood then normal and so any alcohol you drink will be more concentrated in the blood.
    I'm sure we could get you a cameo role on ER :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    Cheers.

I didn't, and still don't, know very much about giving blood. We just had a blood donation bank at work for a couple of days, and it was more of a spur of the moment thing then anything else.

Would do it again though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makavelli_07)
    Cheers.

I didn't, and still don't, know very much about giving blood. We just had a blood donation bank at work for a couple of days, and it was more of a spur of the moment thing then anything else.

Would do it again though.
    Click on the link in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireflower)
    Hey does any one on :tsr: give blood just wondering as was my third time tonight and am in bit on pain now! x :aetsch:
    Aw! Well done yep, I've given blood a few times now (I'm AB+ so while it's not presumed to be as needed, it's still worth it to give out for the other ABs out there). Just be sure to increase your iron intake Clare :cool: Do so for a couple days, until you feel stronger again.

Danni x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Aw! Well done yep, I've given blood a few times now (I'm AB+ so while it's not presumed to be as needed, it's still worth it to give out for the other ABs out there). Just be sure to increase your iron intake Clare :cool: Do so for a couple days, until you feel stronger again.

Danni x
    Thanks hun (Danni) am feeling much better am so glad that so many younger people give blood the last time i went i was the youngest one there again! :aetsch:

ReputationRep:
    Aw this thread makes me feel awful I've never given blood. I keep meaning to because I really want to, but I've just never got round to it. I think I'm kinda scared and that's why I keep putting it off...

My friend gave blood the other week and she has the HUGEST bruise on her arm. Another friend of mine fainted afterwards.

I need to just stop being scared and do it.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to add.... GO AND GIVE BLOOD!

If you physically can please do because not only does it make you feel good it helps thousands of people too. My boyfriend is really ill at the moment and has to have at least one blood transfusion a week.

As someone who has O- blood (rare and v useful type) I go as often as I can and I urge anyone else who can to please go whenever they can.

Trust me, I can see it helping someone very close to me everyday and I thought just saying this would make those of you who give blood feel good knowing people do actually benefit and those who don't maybe feel they should?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.