The Student Room Group

family ignores me

hi guys,
basically my family and wider close family barely talk to me. I can't hold a conversation and no one wants to come up and talk to me. the best I get is a hi.

I'm in my second year of uni and have no social life because I don't have any friends. no one on my course speaks much. the society are pretty dry and quite expensive as I did cricket but they expect to go to weekly socials themed based it's quite expensive. I literally have no friends no one to talk to and it's started to effect me quite badly.

what should I do? I told the uni and I did CBT therapy for 8 weeks then they said that's all the uni can do. nothing has changed, in fact it has made me worse.

what shall I do now? there is no hope
Have you tried getting a job? Honestly the vast majority of my social life comes from the people I’ve met at work. It also provides extra income so you can afford to go to society socials…
CBT therapy can’t cure loneliness unfortunately. Having people at work also gives you people to relate to on a level you can’t relate to other people :smile:
Original post by ALEreapp
Have you tried getting a job? Honestly the vast majority of my social life comes from the people I’ve met at work. It also provides extra income so you can afford to go to society socials…
CBT therapy can’t cure loneliness unfortunately. Having people at work also gives you people to relate to on a level you can’t relate to other people :smile:

Original post by ALEreapp

honestly, I do have time for coursework. my course is 100% coursework and it's quite hard to keep on top off.

I did CBT therapy for depression and anxiety. I'm just a person that nobody wants to talk to or be friends with.
Try and keep going to cricket, or another sport. Even if you do not go to all the socials you will get to know the people over time and it would be good to get the endorphins from exercise.

To keep the cost down try and join something where people do not drink lots of alcohol eg a walking group, volunteering, film society etc.

Is there anyone in your family that you can speak to about being lonely? Maybe start a WhatsApp family group so you can share photos & texts? Family members do often take each other for granted but there is always hope that things will get better.

Remember this is just a phase you are going through. Put some music on and keep on top of your work. Eat sensibly & get plenty of rest so you feel well. Try and start up conversations with people on your course. There will be other people feeling the same as you who will appreciate the contact.

Quick Reply