Which graph? Watch

Callipygian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What kind of graph should i use to show the distribution of continuous data, that i can draw using excel07.

I wanted to do a boxplot but excel doesnt draw boxplots *easily* (please noone link me to that horible tutorial of how to do a sideaway bar chart and make bits invisible to make it look like a crappy boxplot)

edit: btw there are like 400 bits of data so a scatter graph isnt really ideal
James
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Scatter graph is best, with a line of best fit if appropriate. Or a bar chart.
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Callipygian)
What kind of graph should i use to show the distribution of continuous data, that i can draw using excel07.

I wanted to do a boxplot but excel doesnt draw boxplots *easily* (please noone link me to that horible tutorial of how to do a sideaway bar chart and make bits invisible to make it look like a crappy boxplot)

edit: btw there are like 400 bits of data so a scatter graph isnt really ideal
Excel does histograms - look in the help section to get started.
Callipygian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by James)
Scatter graph is best, with a line of best fit if appropriate. Or a bar chart.
Sorry i didnt make it very clear, the data is life expectancy, so i just have 400 bit of data that at like 70.4, 69.3 etc. a bar chart wouldnt work at all, and a scatter graph is impossible since what do i plot life expectancy against.....

I wanted to avoid grouping the data but i guess a histrogram is probably my best option, its so stupid excel doesn't do box plots theyre way more commonly used than some of the random charts they have got
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.02%
Leave (278)
20.98%

Watched Threads