The Student Room Group

Elat 2022

Hey everyone! I saw that there was an absolutely massive ELAT thread last year and whilst we don't have the same covid restrictions in place anymore I thought it would still be nice to set one up just for some chill discussions! No competition or pressure, just reassurance :smile: Please feel free to reply with...
- Which college you're applying to/open application?
- Other unis you're applying to?
- How you're feeling about ELAT/interviews/written work?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

My daughter is applying to Oxford, Oriel College, other universities are York, Exeter, Bristol, Reading. She’s waiting to hear from the college for instructions for sending in written work but hadn’t heard anything yet. She had written work ready to submit though.
Reply 2
Hi! I am applying to Brasenose College, Oxford. I have also applied to Warwick, Bristol, York, Leeds. I'm quite nervous for the ELAT. I've attempted 2 papers and I found one quite challenging but the other was fine, so I don't really know what to expect! Finding it hard to believe that the exam is not that far away... I know what two pieces of written work I will submit but still do not know how to do this. I've decided to submit an essay on a novel I'm studying and then one comparing two poems. In terms of interviews, I have not done any preparation yet, but I think I will after half term in my school. After reading the previous year's thread on the ELAT, I'll try to not be too hard on myself after the exam as it seems like there was a whole range of marks that received interviews :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Ooh, I've heard great things about Oriel (I'm applying to Lincoln by the way)! And that's amazing that she knows what she will submit for written work, I haven't decided yet :smile:
Original post by kscgemini
My daughter is applying to Oxford, Oriel College, other universities are York, Exeter, Bristol, Reading. She’s waiting to hear from the college for instructions for sending in written work but hadn’t heard anything yet. She had written work ready to submit though.
Nice to meet you! When I visited Brasenose it had a lovely atmosphere :biggrin: and I understand what you mean about last year's thread. I had a quick read through some of it and it seems that people's scores really varied and didn't always correlate to them getting an interview or an offer. I also am planning on doing most of my ELAT prep over half-term (master procrastinator here). Has your college gotten into contact yet about submitting written work?
Original post by htr14
Hi! I am applying to Brasenose College, Oxford. I have also applied to Warwick, Bristol, York, Leeds. I'm quite nervous for the ELAT. I've attempted 2 papers and I found one quite challenging but the other was fine, so I don't really know what to expect! Finding it hard to believe that the exam is not that far away... I know what two pieces of written work I will submit but still do not know how to do this. I've decided to submit an essay on a novel I'm studying and then one comparing two poems. In terms of interviews, I have not done any preparation yet, but I think I will after half term in my school. After reading the previous year's thread on the ELAT, I'll try to not be too hard on myself after the exam as it seems like there was a whole range of marks that received interviews :smile:
Original post by htr14

Are you submitting two pieces of work? I thought it was only one piece of written work to submit?
Original post by mysistersmells
Hey everyone! I saw that there was an absolutely massive ELAT thread last year and whilst we don't have the same covid restrictions in place anymore I thought it would still be nice to set one up just for some chill discussions! No competition or pressure, just reassurance :smile: Please feel free to reply with...

- Oxford or Cambridge?

Just so you know, Cambridge is no longer using the ELAT. :smile:
Reply 7

- Oxford or Cambridge?

hey!
i've applied to lincoln too!! the tutors seem lovely and the place is so beautiful. also applied to york (offer), warwick (offer), edinburgh and lancaster.
i've done three practice ELATs and i'm feeling okay - unlike some of the other admissions tests there's a limit to how much you can prepare lol.
waiting to hear about submitting written work but i'm gonna give them my coursework👍
Original post by penguingirl18
Just so you know, Cambridge is no longer using the ELAT. :smile:

Thanks for letting me know!
Original post by j-h-
hey!
i've applied to lincoln too!! the tutors seem lovely and the place is so beautiful. also applied to york (offer), warwick (offer), edinburgh and lancaster.
i've done three practice ELATs and i'm feeling okay - unlike some of the other admissions tests there's a limit to how much you can prepare lol.
waiting to hear about submitting written work but i'm gonna give them my coursework👍

Yep, submitting coursework is a good idea!
Reply 10
Nice to meet you! When I visited Brasenose it had a lovely atmosphere :biggrin: and I understand what you mean about last year's thread. I had a quick read through some of it and it seems that people's scores really varied and didn't always correlate to them getting an interview or an offer. I also am planning on doing most of my ELAT prep over half-term (master procrastinator here). Has your college gotten into contact yet about submitting written work?

Nice to meet you too :smile: My college hasn't contacted me about written work yet. I think the last email I received was just confirming that I had actually applied to Oxford.
Reply 11
Original post by kscgemini
Are you submitting two pieces of work? I thought it was only one piece of written work to submit?

My teacher told me I had to pick two to submit. I'm not sure if it does have to be two or if she just said two so that she could help me pick? I need to check the website again or wait for the email about it.
Original post by htr14
My teacher told me I had to pick two to submit. I'm not sure if it does have to be two or if she just said two so that she could help me pick? I need to check the website again or wait for the email about it.

Double check the website, but from what I read with my daughter it’s one piece of written work and it needs to be under or at 2,000 words.

Hey Im applying to Worcester college. Not feeling great about the ELAT as I only started preparing for it a week ago :frown:
Also haven't heard anything about written work which I was worrying about but since no one else has yet Im feeling ok. I haven't picked anything to submit yet, I will go through that after the ELAT. Only done 2 past papers for the ELAT, heard that its not the be all and end all also my teacher told me not to got for the safe options, as in easy pieces to analyse, if that helps anyone.
(edited 1 year ago)
I only started prepping a week ago as well so don't worry too much about it - the important thing is to not get burnt out after all :smile:
Original post by Collen3376
Hey Im applying to Worcester college. Not feeling great about the ELAT as I only started preparing for it a week ago :frown:
Also haven't heard anything about written work which I was worrying about but since no one else has yet Im feeling ok. I haven't picked anything to submit yet, I will go through that after the ELAT. Only done 2 past papers for the ELAT, heard that its not the be all and end all also my teacher told me not to got for the safe options, as in easy pieces to analyse, if that helps anyone.
Reply 15
Hi! Thanks so much for starting this thread, lovely to meet so many fellow English applicants 'cause there's not many where I'm from (Singapore)
I've applied to Magdalen, UCL, Edinburgh, Warwick and Kent (offer).

I've also chosen my written work, but quite frankly -- I don't think its my best work. It is, however, my longest and is closest to the word limit of 2k. What do you all think? Should I submit the essay I'm most proud of? Or this essay, which is really quite decent as well, but not my most shining piece.

Anyway, I've only started prepping for the ELAT this week 'cos my A-Levels are super close and I'm quite afraid, I don't really know how to prepare either 'cos I don't really have anyone who can look through my essays for me. Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks again for the thread, this is lovely!
Original post by dordee
Hi! Thanks so much for starting this thread, lovely to meet so many fellow English applicants 'cause there's not many where I'm from (Singapore)

I've also chosen my written work, but quite frankly -- I don't think its my best work. It is, however, my longest and is closest to the word limit of 2k. What do you all think? Should I submit the essay I'm most proud of? Or this essay, which is really quite decent as well, but not my most shining piece.

Anyway, I've only started prepping for the ELAT this week 'cos my A-Levels are super close and I'm quite afraid, I don't really know how to prepare either 'cos I don't really have anyone who can look through my essays for me. Do you guys have any tips?

My daughter is submitting work which is 845 word count but she’s happy and confident with it. It was a 3 sides handwritten essay written in an hour time limit in school. It won’t all come down to the submitted written work as they look at the applicant as a whole.
If you can, maybe ask your teacher if the longer essay you're thinking of submitting is not too different in quality to any shorter pieces. Of course something with more words gives you more time to show them what you can do but I'd always like to go with quality over quantity!
Original post by dordee

Has anyone had any offers yet from any if their choices?
I've gotten one from Exeter :smile: but that's all I've really heard from. What about you?
Original post by Collen3376
Has anyone had any offers yet from any if their choices?

Quick Reply

Latest