Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dropping out - situation with fees, grants and loans. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not enjoying my course at uni and so I'm going to drop out this week. So far I have recieved the first installment of my maintenance loan and grant. I'm aware these will need to be paid back but what I'm wanting to know is will these need to be paid back immediately? As I wont be able to pay them back straight away as I'm in the process of looking for a job.

Also, what would the situation be with my tutition fees, will the SLC still pay the uni or will I have to myself rather then owing the SLC... if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    ...my sister quit uni six years ago and she still hasn't paid any money back (as far as I know, anyway) *shifty*

They don't (or didn't) make you give money back right away.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I may have answered this for you in another thread, maybe mistaken though.

If you drop out before 1st December then while your uni can still charge fees you wouldn't get any support from the SLC.

If you've had grant you will have to pay back a portion of that. Any maintenance loan paid to you is repaid in the normal manner (Earning over £15,000).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Pretty sure I may have answered this for you in another thread, maybe mistaken though.

If you drop out before 1st December then while your uni can still charge fees you wouldn't get any support from the SLC.

If you've had grant you will have to pay back a portion of that. Any maintenance loan paid to you is repaid in the normal manner (Earning over £15,000).
    Thanks Taiko. Your right you did explain to me about the grant in another thread. So if I drop out before the 1st December I'll have no support, but if I was to drop out on say 2nd of December I would owe the SLC and pay pack when earning over £15,000? If before December 1st I'd owe the uni directly, is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to be sure

ReputationRep:
    That's spot on. If you're sure your uni will charge fees, best to hold on another 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my uni will charge me so I'll hang on a bit longer because I can't afford to pay them myself as I've not got a job yet. Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    hey i no how u feel i really badly hate uni miss my home n bf lots n the course isnt great neither is the city any one got any advice as whether to stay or go? like apply next year or stay this year n move closer next year in my second year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmariebrock)
    hey i no how u feel i really badly hate uni miss my home n bf lots n the course isnt great neither is the city any one got any advice as whether to stay or go? like apply next year or stay this year n move closer next year in my second year?
    I hated my course and was a bit homesick. I made some good friends and had good flat mates which made it bareable but thats not enough. I've decided to reapply for a different course and I'm going to a more local uni.

If you dont like the course would you really be happy to being doing the same course next year but at a different uni? I thought about transferring at the start of second year but I knew even living closer to home I'd still feel the same about the course. If your sure your never going to get to like the course anymore than you do I'd say reapply. Dont rush into anything, good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.