The Student Room Group

Access course grading help

Hi,
I’ve just received my first psychology assignment back. I got 2x merit and 2x distinction, with an overall merit grade. I have another assignment to do for this unit, which is worth 3 credits overall. If I get all distinctions in this next assignment will I be able to get 3 distinction credits? I’m confused about how it all works 😩
Original post by isilbell
Hi,
I’ve just received my first psychology assignment back. I got 2x merit and 2x distinction, with an overall merit grade. I have another assignment to do for this unit, which is worth 3 credits overall. If I get all distinctions in this next assignment will I be able to get 3 distinction credits? I’m confused about how it all works 😩

You should get an overall distinction if you get 3 distinctions.

The grading would be based on the averages of the grades. So for a 7 credit unit (didn't know they come in 7s, they're usually 3, 6, or 9s) with MMDDDDD, you should get a distincion. A DDDDMMM would still be a distinction. A DDDMMMM would be a merit.

I would check with either your tutor or teacher to check because I don't know the specific details of your unit, and the description wasn't particularly clear.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
You should get an overall distinction if you get 3 distinctions.

The grading would be based on the averages of the grades. So for a 7 credit unit (didn't know they come in 7s, they're usually 3, 6, or 9s) with MMDDDDD, you should get a distincion. A DDDDMMM would still be a distinction. A DDDMMMM would be a merit.

I would check with either your tutor or teacher to check because I don't know the specific details of your unit, and the description wasn't particularly clear.

Thank you - I’m sorry that I’m not clear. It’s a 3 credit unit. But I got 4 marks on my essay - 2xM and 2xD. So if I get all distinctions on my next assignment I should get overall distinctions?
it’s half term here so don’t want to email my tutor, but I’m anxious to know how I can improve my grade.
Thank you - I’m sorry that I’m not clear. It’s a 3 credit unit. But I got 4 marks on my essay - 2xM and 2xD. So if I get all distinctions on my next assignment I should get overall distinctions?
it’s half term here so don’t want to email my tutor, but I’m anxious to know how I can improve my grade.

Now I am even more confused.

How many assignments do you have on the unit? Is it 2 or 3? If it's 2, do you know what the weighting of the assignments are? It makes sense for one assignment to be worth twice the grade of the other, but this isn't likely to be the case.

If you get all distinctions in your next assignment, you should get all distinctions for the unit, irrespective of the scenario since the MMDD was a borderline case (if they marked you as merit, it meant there was something slightly lacking in your assignment that made them think that way).

There's no harm in emailing your tutor during half term, just don't expect a reply until after half term.

There should be various notes dotted around your assignment. Compare these notes with what you have in your syllabus or unit outline. The unit outline is what they would have used to mark your assignment. If you have MM in 2 areas, look at the grading criteria in these specific areas and see what was missing to have boosted it up to a distinction.
If the grading requirements seem a bit cryptic, then feel free to ask your teacher what the specifics are. I know I definitely would.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can try rewriting the assignment with the amendments in mind and ask for a remark (but not for official grading; otherwise it's a different matter) just so you can learn what you would need to do to score the higher grades. You partially learn to get higher grades by understanding the grading requirements more. If you're capable of getting higher grades but you're not, you should look into why - don't let unnecessary barriers hold you back.
Reply 4
Now I am even more confused.

How many assignments do you have on the unit? Is it 2 or 3? If it's 2, do you know what the weighting of the assignments are? It makes sense for one assignment to be worth twice the grade of the other, but this isn't likely to be the case.

If you get all distinctions in your next assignment, you should get all distinctions for the unit, irrespective of the scenario since the MMDD was a borderline case (if they marked you as merit, it meant there was something slightly lacking in your assignment that made them think that way).

There's no harm in emailing your tutor during half term, just don't expect a reply until after half term.

There should be various notes dotted around your assignment. Compare these notes with what you have in your syllabus or unit outline. The unit outline is what they would have used to mark your assignment. If you have MM in 2 areas, look at the grading criteria in these specific areas and see what was missing to have boosted it up to a distinction.
If the grading requirements seem a bit cryptic, then feel free to ask your teacher what the specifics are. I know I definitely would.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can try rewriting the assignment with the amendments in mind and ask for a remark (but not for official grading; otherwise it's a different matter) just so you can learn what you would need to do to score the higher grades. You partially learn to get higher grades by understanding the grading requirements more. If you're capable of getting higher grades but you're not, you should look into why - don't let unnecessary barriers hold you back.

It’s just 2 assignments but I do not know the weighting. I know exactly where I went wrong with the assignment - it was total laziness on my part and I will do better next time. Thank you for your help :smile:
It’s just 2 assignments but I do not know the weighting. I know exactly where I went wrong with the assignment - it was total laziness on my part and I will do better next time. Thank you for your help :smile:

The weighting should be specified in your unit outline (no, they don't hand out syllabi and unit outlines just for kicks). It should be somewhere near the start of the document. If you can find it, you should be able to know what the weighting is.
Reply 6
The weighting should be specified in your unit outline (no, they don't hand out syllabi and unit outlines just for kicks). It should be somewhere near the start of the document. If you can find it, you should be able to know what the weighting is.

It isn’t in there because it’s not weighted - I had already looked. I emailed my tutor and she explained that I just needed to get 5/8 distinctions in my first 2 assignments to get a distinction in that unit.
I'm confused as my access is 60 credits. First 15 can only be a pass and the other 45 are broken into 3, 6 or 9 based in whatever the assignment consists of

Did they not explain the grading to you at the beginning of your course or is there something on your internal college system as guidance?
Original post by Julymadness
I'm confused as my access is 60 credits. First 15 can only be a pass and the other 45 are broken into 3, 6 or 9 based in whatever the assignment consists of

Did they not explain the grading to you at the beginning of your course or is there something on your internal college system as guidance?

No, I think she was having problems determining what grades she would need to get on her second assignment to get distinctions overall for one particular 3 credit module.
No, I think she was having problems determining what grades she would need to get on her second assignment to get distinctions overall for one particular 3 credit module.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending