Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A farmer has refused to sell his dilapidated farm to Donald Trump. He was offered around £750,000 for the farm, plus a £50,000 yearly salary for doing nothing. He has refused it on the basis he doesn't want to see a golf course built for environmental reasons :rofl:

Complete nutter, or man with principles? I know what I would have chosen to do!

ReputationRep:
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caaakeeey)
    Source?
    Not really... This is the closest I can find http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/..._10016258.html but it has no figures. Read it in a local newspaper.

Edit: This http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/sco...ald-trump-piss is a better one. Still no figures, but the quote is quite good: ""They say that money talks; not with me it doesn't," Mr. Forbes said."

ReputationRep:
    He's cool!

I mean... totally irrational and all, but cool!

ReputationRep:
    If you're happy with what you've got, why change.

But I would totally have sold up. I wonder if he could be trying to use it as leverage for more money, the farm is vital to Trump's plans, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to invade this farmer's land once I find its location and then take the offer myself. Gonna get medieval style on his ass.

ReputationRep:
    I'd sell myself for 750,000.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIA Trump won't get anywhere even if he does buy this farm...

Makes me wonder why he's so keen to get a golf course built though, I kind of doubt it's to make money.

ReputationRep:
    that guy is hardcore. i would of sold it for peanuts.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it environmentally unfriendly to build a golf course?

They look so much nicer than dilapidated farms :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Why is it environmentally unfriendly to build a golf course?

They look so much nicer than dilapidated farms :p:
    It's not. In this part of the country, development and industry are bad apparently. That's why we get nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Golf courses are bad for the environment and he was being a hero for it but... that is a lot of money, I'm pretty suprised he didn't sell.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't this the case months and months ago? I'm pretty sure that Trump (controversially) got permission to build it anyway a few weeks back.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has to stand up to this kind of thing, regardless of how much money they throw at him (or us as it be). Fair enough, the details are a bit hazy, but we do have to ask ourselves somethimes, where is this country going? Every city now looks the same, you take a picture of the high streets from Southampton,Brighton, Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, you name it, and many will not be able to tell the difference how they used to. Our heritige is being bought out and sold to us as "an impovement", but is it really that much better?

I remember a few years ago, the council planned to spend a great deal of money on a dilapidated sports centre on the beach in my town (Hove, the centre namely the King Alfred). Frank Gehry, a very famous arcitect, was brought into design a "magnificent" twin tower block and new entertainment, shopping and sports centre. Now take in mind that this was a fairly highly populated area, on/near the beach and had no tall buildings...it was completely utterly mad. Even the design was horrendous and did not fit in with our town at all
    http://www.thekingalfred.org/_images/home-plan.jpg
    I don't know about you, but every person in the area, nay, town thought this was a severe waste of funds which would have overpopulated the area causing a great deal of traffic and troubles. All that was needed to be done was a small investment into the original sports centre to spruce it up a bit.

Fortunately because of the credit crunch, that is what they have decided to do, after years and years of residents protesting.

I kind of see this mirroring all around the UK, and in this case. You might think the farmer is crazy, and he probably is, but i'd prefer to have a true British Britain which is invested into well rather than these people coming and destroying everything.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody will sell out at the right price. I guess that just wasn't the right price for him.

ReputationRep:
    there's a farm near me 'fordhall farm' (one of the first organic farms in the UK IIRC) that has done loads of gimmicks (selling 'shares' - no actual ownership but you can attend an AGM), a terrible farm shop, family days and whatnot, even books, for the only reason, as far as I can see, is to stop Muller building their factory expansion there. this is pointless as they will build across the road, but the daft buggers keep rejecting the money from muller to sell up and **** off.

ReputationRep:
    Good on him. We have to stop Britain from being totally lost, ideals and hertiage should not be bought out by big bussiness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snorty_swirl)
    Good on him. We have to stop Britain from being totally lost, ideals and hertiage should not be bought out by big bussiness.
    The most accepted golf history theory is that golf (as practised today) originated from Scotland in the 12th century, with shepherds knocking stones into rabbit holes in the place where the famous Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews now sits.
    1.Golf from Scotland
    2.Investment in golf in Scotland
    3.Golf Course in Scotland
    5.Profit!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    1.Golf from Scotland
    2.Investment in golf in Scotland
    3.Golf Course in Scotland
    5.Profit!!!

- for the environment though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leigh.)
    - for the environment though
    + for the economy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.