Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?

ReputationRep:
    Merlin's beard, are you drunk?

ReputationRep:
    Ask him next friday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Merlin's beard, are you drunk?
    Currently, no.

As for next Friday, we're they're not too sure about that. His office hours are so busy, it's nigh-on impossible to catch the bugger alone. It's not feasible to ask with other students in the room.

Reason with him like this: if he takes a first step towards the pub, he'll be fine. If he takes one more step further than the previous step towards the pub, he'll be fine. Therefore, by induction, it's perfectly fine to go to the pub.

This must be done at 3.14pm.

ReputationRep:
    As if you made a thread about this!

ReputationRep:
    Chloroform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    As if you made a thread about this!
    TSR has the answer to everything. I was hoping its magnificence might shed some light on this cosmic dilemma. We should so invite James down the pub next Friday! For wibble! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    TSR has the answer to everything. I was hoping its magnificence might shed some light on this cosmic dilemma. We should so invite James down the pub next Friday! For wibble! :cool:
    Definitely! We'll probably never see him again after that so we can at least have one last fun time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?
    Makes me think the hypothetical question is a hypothetical equation...

You sure it ain't a an equation in disguise :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! We'll probably never see him again after that so we can at least have one last fun time.
    That sounds so dodgy... You do realise there's less chance of him agreeing than there is the lecturer who will remain un-named (and Welsh).

ReputationRep:
    How strange, i'm thinking of asking my lecturer the same thing on Monday in the same way (a drop in session)

except i want to shag mine after, what are you asking your lecturer out for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    You should only invite your lecturer to the pub if he's really cool and is likely to agree to go with you. We have one of the most hilariously sarcastic lecturers ever at ABS who I and everyone else would happily go to the pub with :p:

For wibble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    That sounds so dodgy... You do realise there's less chance of him agreeing than there is the lecturer who will remain un-named (and Welsh).
    Really? But James actually knows who we are and blatantly can't get enough of us.

ReputationRep:
    obviously this isnt hypothetical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaz_197)
    obviously this isnt hypothetical
    No **** :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've met three students called Merlin at Cambridge already in the 5 weeks I've been here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    You should only invite your lecturer to the pub if he's really cool and is likely to agree to go with you. We have one of the most hilariously sarcastic lecturers ever at ABS who I and everyone else would happily go to the pub with :p:

For wibble?
    Oh, he's cool. Wibble is the technical term I coined to account for unexpected errors in labs, especially wrt oscilloscope noise. If it goes wrong, we just write that we're experiencing a lot of wibble. Our labs demonstrator, i.e. James, has taken to using the term himself now. :proud:

Really? But James actually knows who we are and blatantly can't get enough of us.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuaHs2y2I0

(Original post by The West Wing)
    I've met three students called Merlin at Cambridge already in the 5 weeks I've been here.
    It's just the same student using his wizarding powers to transform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flic89)
    except i want to shag mine after, what are you asking your lecturer out for?
    Is he liable to be that cavalier (or desperate), do you suppose?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.