Best time and way to invite a maths lecturer down the pub Watch

HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?
Mr. Orange
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Merlin's beard, are you drunk?
fisherman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ask him next friday?
HCD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
Merlin's beard, are you drunk?
Currently, no.

As for next Friday, we're they're not too sure about that. His office hours are so busy, it's nigh-on impossible to catch the bugger alone. It's not feasible to ask with other students in the room.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
Reason with him like this: if he takes a first step towards the pub, he'll be fine. If he takes one more step further than the previous step towards the pub, he'll be fine. Therefore, by induction, it's perfectly fine to go to the pub.

This must be done at 3.14pm.
Pulkpull
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As if you made a thread about this!
D-Day
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chloroform.
HCD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pulkpull)
As if you made a thread about this!
TSR has the answer to everything. I was hoping its magnificence might shed some light on this cosmic dilemma. We should so invite James down the pub next Friday! For wibble! :cool:
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
TSR has the answer to everything. I was hoping its magnificence might shed some light on this cosmic dilemma. We should so invite James down the pub next Friday! For wibble! :cool:
Definitely! We'll probably never see him again after that so we can at least have one last fun time.
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?
Makes me think the hypothetical question is a hypothetical equation...

You sure it ain't a an equation in disguise :yep:
HCD
Rep:
?
Definitely! We'll probably never see him again after that so we can at least have one last fun time.
That sounds so dodgy... You do realise there's less chance of him agreeing than there is the lecturer who will remain un-named (and Welsh).
Flic89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How strange, i'm thinking of asking my lecturer the same thing on Monday in the same way (a drop in session)

except i want to shag mine after, what are you asking your lecturer out for?
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
You should only invite your lecturer to the pub if he's really cool and is likely to agree to go with you. We have one of the most hilariously sarcastic lecturers ever at ABS who I and everyone else would happily go to the pub with :p:

For wibble?
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by HCD)
That sounds so dodgy... You do realise there's less chance of him agreeing than there is the lecturer who will remain un-named (and Welsh).
Really? But James actually knows who we are and blatantly can't get enough of us.
m197
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
obviously this isnt hypothetical
Pulkpull
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by malaz_197)
obviously this isnt hypothetical
No **** :rolleyes:
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've met three students called Merlin at Cambridge already in the 5 weeks I've been here.
HCD
Rep:
?
(Original post by IanDangerously)
You should only invite your lecturer to the pub if he's really cool and is likely to agree to go with you. We have one of the most hilariously sarcastic lecturers ever at ABS who I and everyone else would happily go to the pub with :p:

For wibble?
Oh, he's cool. Wibble is the technical term I coined to account for unexpected errors in labs, especially wrt oscilloscope noise. If it goes wrong, we just write that we're experiencing a lot of wibble. Our labs demonstrator, i.e. James, has taken to using the term himself now. :proud:

Really? But James actually knows who we are and blatantly can't get enough of us.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuaHs2y2I0
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The West Wing)
I've met three students called Merlin at Cambridge already in the 5 weeks I've been here.
It's just the same student using his wizarding powers to transform.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Flic89)
except i want to shag mine after, what are you asking your lecturer out for?
Is he liable to be that cavalier (or desperate), do you suppose?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.46%
No (530)
60.78%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise