Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "I need a little help with my calculus, can you integrate my natural log? Meet me in the pub toilets."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Oh, he's cool. Wibble is the technical term I coined to account for unexpected errors in labs, especially wrt oscilloscope noise. If it goes wrong, we just write that we're experiencing a lot of wibble. Our labs demonstrator, i.e. James, has taken to using the term himself now. :proud:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuaHs2y2I0
    There's just always so much wibble... even in experiments where wibble can't conceivably occur. How did our spectroscope gain wibble? It's supposed to be ridiculously accurate!

Erm, right. Did you youtube Christensen's awesomenes yet?

ReputationRep:
    Line up loads of chocolate pieces with maths questions on them leading to the Pub. Surely he'll follow the line and innocently walk into your sinister trap. (Like Hanzel and Grettel)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    There's just always so much wibble... even in experiments where wibble can't conceivably occur. How did our spectroscope gain wibble? It's supposed to be ridiculously accurate!

Erm, right. Did you youtube Christensen's awesomenes yet?
    It was the Russians with their evil Cold War Wibble Waves I tells ya!

I haven't bluetoothed it to my laptop yet, but I'm doing so as we speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    It was the Russians with their evil Cold War Wibble Waves I tells ya!

I haven't bluetoothed it to my laptop yet, but I'm doing so as we speak.
    Awesome! Congratulations on filling this thread with so many in jokes not a single person on this forum could possibly join the conversation!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Congratulations on filling this thread with so many in jokes not a single person on this forum could possibly join the conversation!
    :proud:

I'm still waiting for viable suggestions to get him down the pub though.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask him! I don't think you can really trick him there. Can I watch?

Oh, while you're here... do we have tutorial on Monday or not?

ReputationRep:
    How old is he?

ReputationRep:
    Just ask him! I don't think you can really trick him there. Can I watch?

Oh, while you're here... do we have tutorial on Monday or not?
    No, it's problem sheet week instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    No, it's problem sheet week instead.
    Ah, ok, I just seem to remember stefan saying something about not being able to make it another week so he was moving things around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?
    I knew a guy called Merlin, and I think he tootled down to Gimperial this year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Stevo)
    I knew a guy called Merlin, and I think he tootled down to Gimperial this year...
    :rofl:

Yeah, that's him alright. I can't imagine there being too many Merlins in Imperial's Physics course this year. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's doing Physics at Imperial :rofl:

Apparantly the maths is horrific?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I know someone who's doing Physics at Imperial :rofl:

Apparantly the maths is horrific?
    For those who deign to actually do the problem sheets, I'm sure it is. :p:

There's a reason we turn to drink. :cheers:

I just hope the lecturer feels the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    For those who deign to actually do the problem sheets, I'm sure it is. :p:

There's a reason we turn to drink. :cheers:

I just hope the lecturer feels the same way.
    Oh :p: ... he said something about it taking 4 hours to do or something ridiculous and being almost suicidally hard.

Won't you need to learn all the maths-y stuff eventually anyway? Turning to drink only works for so long when your doing a hard degree lol. Those of us doing business courses can turn to drink every day and not worry about needing any knowledge in the future :cheers:

Why don't you come up with some kind of drinking game that involves maths, and pitch the idea to your lecturer, asking him if he wants to test it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Oh :p: ... he said something about it taking 4 hours to do or something ridiculous and being almost suicidally hard.

Won't you need to learn all the maths-y stuff eventually anyway? Turning to drink only works for so long when your doing a hard degree lol. Those of us doing business courses can turn to drink every day and not worry about needing any knowledge in the future :cheers:
    i.e. until we get kicked out. :p:

Why don't you come up with some kind of drinking game that involves maths, and pitch the idea to your lecturer, asking him if he wants to test it out.
    Not quite sure how/if that'd work, or if it would make it any easier to ask him! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Stevo)
    I knew a guy called Merlin
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    i.e. until we get kicked out. :p:

Not quite sure how/if that'd work, or if it would make it any easier to ask him! :p:
    Because he'd be more inclined to come along if you pretended you wanted him to help you out at the pub. :p:

And dont get kicked out, lol!

ReputationRep:
    rohypnol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    :proud:

I'm still waiting for viable suggestions to get him down the pub though.
    I knew who it was from the first line :proud:

Someone in our year put a sheep calendar on the desk for this last lecture. I don't think that'll really help in your situation.

"The Mathematicians WRITE IT DOWN!" (I assume he's using the same intro joke?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.