Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you created a thread on this! Pulkpull, you've got to come down after the lecture and watch this - HCD has already agreed to be the one to ask him.

(Original post by El Stevo)
    I knew a guy called Merlin, and I think he tootled down to Gimperial this year...
    Do i know you? Either that or my one unique characteristic is gone.

Nice job on facebooking the Christensen video... is it on youtube yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I knew who it was from the first line :proud:

Someone in our year put a sheep calendar on the desk for this last lecture. I don't think that'll really help in your situation.
    Oh dear. No, I don't suppose it will. Was it successful?

"The Mathematicians WRITE IT DOWN!" (I assume he's using the same intro joke?)
    Yeah, same joke. :p:

(Original post by schrodinger's cat)
    I can't believe you created a thread on this! Pulkpull, you've got to come down after the lecture and watch this - HCD has already agreed to be the one to ask him because I'm too much of a pussy wizard.
    I thought as much.

I had to make a new account, I always forget my bloomin' passwords. :shifty:

EDIT: Yes we can.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy65xSFUyiE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Oh dear. No, I don't suppose it will. Was it successful?
    It was fairly humourous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?
    don't do it. conflict of interest unless you are a phd student and he's r supervisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    don't do it. conflict of interest unless you are a phd student and he's r supervisor
    Whether to do it or not was never the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    Whether to do it or not was never the question.
    :five:

There are two question words relevant here: when and how? :cool:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by HCD)
    Let's say, hypothetically, a couple of guys get drunk and agree to invite a maths lecturer to the pub. Let's say "Hypothetical Character Duke", or HCD for short, intends to honour this agreement. Let's give the other character a ridiculous fake name like "Merlin". That's never a real name, so it's all hypothetical you see. Now, assuming HCD and Merlin have a lecture with said professor on a certain morning, what might they say to this professor after the lecture, or would there be a better time to make the invitation? Let's say these buffoonish characters went to his office hours on Friday, to ask a maths question with the intention of making the proposal thereafter. Let us then assume that another student on the same course came in and got him started on another maths question, ruling it impossible to politely ask the lecturer down the pub, scuppering everything. Whatever shall these mythical hypothetical characters do?
    This made my day :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodinger's cat)
    I can't believe you created a thread on this! Pulkpull, you've got to come down after the lecture and watch this - HCD has already agreed to be the one to ask him.

Do i know you? Either that or my one unique characteristic is gone.

being 19, no. he's a grad.

ReputationRep:
    tell him he = 1/cos c
    if he laughs ask him if he is interested in an evening of quality mathematical humour of a similar calibre at a local drinking establishment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Is he liable to be that cavalier (or desperate), do you suppose?
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    OK guys, the easiest way of getting him to the pub:

Axiom: If the lecturer is the pubbing type he will definitely go with his PhD students/research group

1 - Find out who his PhD students are.
    2 - Go and talk to his PhD students (they're probably doing something pretty cool)
    3 - Keep talking long enough that eventually its time to go to the pub
    4 - Ask who their supervisor is and find out if he comes to the pub with them. If you're lucky he might be in the pub already, or will join shortly after.
    5 - If he's not, then you have no chance at all of getting him down the pub
    6 - If he's the pubbing type but is absent that time, you may actually have to make friends with the PhD students to get more bites at the apple

ReputationRep:
    I think the moment has sort of passed now...

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.