The Student Room Group

60 Credits in 2 Separate PG Courses (120 total) - Anything I Can Do?

I wasn't sure how else to word it haha

So, in January 2022, I started an MSc in Public Health, but due to it being far too similar to my undergrad (I didn't learn anything new in my first semester and was later advised that I probably wouldn't learn much more beyond what I knew) I decided to withdraw. I earned my 60 credits, obtaining a PgCert in Public Health.

I'm now doing my PGCE (which was the plan after my master's), so when I complete this, I'll have another 60 credits.

Does anyone know if there is any way of combining the two so I just have to complete the final 60 credits for a full master's? Is there an Open Masters or similar?

Most of my Googling is just topping up my PGCE to a master's by completing the 120 remaining credits, but I'll have to self-fund it all due to having already taken my postgraduate allowance (well, a third of it, and they won't let you take the rest for a different course).
Reply 1
Ok, as I understand it the first is part of an MSc and the second is essentially you teacher training programme. They seem very unrelated to start with...

What you can do is to consider something like https://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/f81 MA/MSc Open or another more related health course and ask for a credit transfer. They allow a maximum of 90 credits but even then I don't know if they will even look yout PGCE since this is a specialized award. In any case, it would hurt to drop them an e-mail.
(edited 1 year ago)
OU has a whole section of their website with information on credit transfer
https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/apply/credit-transfer
Reply 3
Original post by DimT
Ok, as I understand it the first is part of an MSc and the second is essentially you teacher training programme. They seem very unrelated to start with...

What you can do is to consider something like https://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/qualifications/f81 MA/MSc Open or another more related health course and ask for a credit transfer. They allow a maximum of 90 credits but even then I don't know if they will even look yout PGCE since this is a specialized award. In any case, it would hurt to drop them an e-mail.

My undergraduate is in Nutrition and Public Health, my MSc was in Public Health (as mentioned), the PGCE is in Food Technology, and I'm a nutritionist focusing on Public Health. I'll be teaching Food Nutrition and Preparation as a teacher. They might seem unrelated, but they're not that far off. :lol:

Usually, a PGCE is considered for credit transfer to an MA in Education, but it would still require me to do the other 120 credits. I was kind of hoping there was a way to skip straight to the final 60 and just do my dissertation (haha). I know it's wishful thinking.
Reply 4
Original post by ChammyIRL
My undergraduate is in Nutrition and Public Health, my MSc was in Public Health (as mentioned), the PGCE is in Food Technology, and I'm a nutritionist focusing on Public Health. I'll be teaching Food Nutrition and Preparation as a teacher. They might seem unrelated, but they're not that far off. :lol:

Usually, a PGCE is considered for credit transfer to an MA in Education, but it would still require me to do the other 120 credits. I was kind of hoping there was a way to skip straight to the final 60 and just do my dissertation (haha). I know it's wishful thinking.

By unrelated I meant the type of the degree - not the content. Anyway - good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest