Turn on thread page Beta

Is travelling alone safe? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im in my early twenties, 5ft, look young and am naive/inexperienced but I want to become a better person and try and cure this anxiety I have so figure that travelling is the best way. My family say its really unsafe and that people usually go with others as there are lots of shootings and rape etc :rolleyes: Ive lived a very sheltered life no wonder I have anxiety but how right are they really? I sit unsafe for females to travel alone?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    That depends alot on where you are going

ReputationRep:
    As long as your not hitching alone in white vans you should be alright.

I travel alone regularly, I've been to Brighton by myself, London every 2 weeks in the summer, and I'm planning a trip to Devon soon (barn parties ftw), I'm 5'3 and weigh a ridiculously small amount and can get away with child tickets still I've always been fine, I think you should try making small journeys first before doing a long one.

Oh and in my 5 years of lone travelling I've never seen one shooting or rape!

ReputationRep:
    Travelling? As in... to another country? Down the road to the shop? Where? How?

I don't know where abouts you live, but here a woman can happily walk around without getting shot or raped :p: As long as you avoid dodgy areas and don't go walking alone in the dark you'll more than likely be fine unless you live in a rough area :p: Scaremongering FTL.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends where you are traveling to and how you get there.

I think it's very safe to travel alone by plane. When I was 15, I went to Asia alone. I actually felt good because I didn't have to stand in queue and I could do whatever I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlove)
    Travelling? As in... to another country? Down the road to the shop? Where? How?

I don't know where abouts you live, but here a woman can happily walk around without getting shot or raped :p: As long as you avoid dodgy areas and don't go walking alone in the dark you'll more than likely be fine unless you live in a rough area :p: Scaremongering FTL.
    I live near Manchester and am scared to death of going to places on my own but its something I want to overcome. For some weird reason the thought of planning a 2 week holiday alone seems more scary then just venturing off on my own for a year..no idea why its being ill Im scared of more than anything (I not ill but do faint and panic a lot)! I guess its better to start off in the UK though, maybe spend a weekend away in an hotel in the next town, then maybe a week somewhere a bit futher.. or should I just jump in the deep end. Sorry if I sound weird!

ReputationRep:
    People who experience trouble usually cause it, directly or indirectly. Keep yourself to yourself, and don't go around trying to make enemies, and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Obviously that depends where you're going and just how careful you are. My experiences are probably shaped slightly differently by being a 6'1 guy, but I've never really felt threated while travelling alone, and I've had my most rewarding travelling experiences that way too.

That said, I got beaten up and mugged in Vietnam. Maybe not the best thing to put your mind at ease, but that was a very different situation to most of my times abroad, living in a little alleyway and going home at 2am. If you don't go doing daft things like that, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Crossing the road is more dangerous than travelling alone. The vast majority of people are friendly and will point you in the right direction if you ever get stuck. As long as you're not asking for trouble by walking in a rough area alone at night and lost you'll be fine.

Great idea to travel tho, it'll really open your mind up.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm,depends on where you are going and how you are going to get there:confused:.

ReputationRep:
    ...and if you're going to meet people or spend further time on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    Im in my early twenties, 5ft, look young and am naive/inexperienced but I want to become a better person and try and cure this anxiety I have so figure that travelling is the best way. My family say its really unsafe and that people usually go with others as there are lots of shootings and rape etc :rolleyes: Ive lived a very sheltered life no wonder I have anxiety but how right are they really? I sit unsafe for females to travel alone?:confused:
    1. It depends on where you go. As with every country, city, town, whatever, there are nice/safe areas, and there are bad/dangerous areas. If you stick to the nice/safe areas your chances of being made a victim are much smaller.

2. It depends on how you act/what you do. If you aren't streetwise you're going to be made a victim wherever you're travelling, safe or unsafe. So, don't travel on your own through quiet areas, keep valuables out of sight, don't leave your bag unattended, always be aware of your surroundings, don't take lifts off strangers, etc. There are companies that offer 'training' for travellers, businessmen working abroad, etc, otherwise talk to someone who is particularly clued up like a family friend who is a police officer.

3. It depends who you are. If you're 6+ft and weigh 200lbs, there aren't going to be many people who want to take you on, and if they are brave enough to, chances are you can put up a good fight. You certainly have that against you.

ReputationRep:
    As a woman the risks are increased a bit- just play it safe really stick to big roads, and the 'good' areas! Nothing wrong with the old rape alarm either!
    Where are you thinking of travelling?

ReputationRep:
    It really inst as bad as anyone thinks out there in the big wide world.

Just throw yourself out there and be sensible.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. I've been pretty much all over the country on my own, and I travelled to and from Sydney on my own when I was 15, then when my aunty and uncle were at work I explored Sydney on my own
    I find that all you need is an air of confidence, and you're fine. Just keep your wits about you and don't take silly risks

ReputationRep:
    Why not try going abroad with an organisation? I went to Spain for the first time at 16, with a company called Halsbury and spent my time working in a primary school. It was good because I was on my own, but at the same time had help if I ever needed it. I'd advise something like this. PM me if you want more info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    It really inst as bad as anyone thinks out there in the big wide world.

Just throw yourself out there and be sensible.

yeah, but she's a woman, its ok for you, but for us theres big bad men out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Why not try going abroad with an organisation? I went to Spain for the first time at 16, with a company called Halsbury and spent my time working in a primary school. It was good because I was on my own, but at the same time had help if I ever needed it. I'd advise something like this. PM me if you want more info
    I think that's very good advice. When travelling alone, you should be careful with the people you meet. Not saying that you have to be extremely paranoid and not trust anyone, but we've all heard about the "hidden drugs in the bag" mishaps.

ReputationRep:
    i always do,and mainly the people you meet while travelling alone are travelling alone too,so everyone normally helps each other out!! I was stuck in anglessey last week with 3 random strangers i'd never known before alll night ,it was really good fun though.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Amsterdam on my own when I was 21 and nothing bad happened to me. I went to meet a man I"d only previously written to and spoken to on the telephone!. Turned out ok though. I often travel alone to meet people I know from another forum. I know that sounds really stupid, but they are ok and are my friends now.I think as long as you are careful and alert , you will be fine .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2008
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.