Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is travelling alone safe? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're wanting to go abroad and are nervous, I'd advise going to an English speaking country first. That way if you get stuck in airports or just in general it will be easier to communicate your problems.

ReputationRep:
    Most countries are a looooooot safer than England.

Fact.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly I'm a bloke, and a fairly imposing one at that, but I travel alone alot, and I've never had any trouble. Town and city, car and public transport. Its good fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Most countries are a looooooot safer than England.

Fact.
    England is generally very safe with a little common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Hitchhiker)
    England is generally very safe with a little common sense.
    Case & point

ReputationRep:
    I found that travelling alone made me much more aware of everything/everyone around me, and so this helped to make myself as safe as I could be. Yes, you could be mugged in Thailand, but you could also be mugged down your local high street......reduce the risk as much as you can (not drawing attention to yourself, being aware of others, having a back up plan etc.) and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    I found that travelling alone made me much more aware of everything/everyone around me, and so this helped to make myself as safe as I could be. Yes, you could be mugged in Thailand, but you could also be mugged down your local high street......reduce the risk as much as you can (not drawing attention to yourself, being aware of others, having a back up plan etc.) and you'll be fine.
    Bingo.

Risk is all around you but people only tend to see new risk and not old risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    I live near Manchester and am scared to death of going to places on my own but its something I want to overcome. For some weird reason the thought of planning a 2 week holiday alone seems more scary then just venturing off on my own for a year..no idea why its being ill Im scared of more than anything (I not ill but do faint and panic a lot)! I guess its better to start off in the UK though, maybe spend a weekend away in an hotel in the next town, then maybe a week somewhere a bit futher.. or should I just jump in the deep end. Sorry if I sound weird!
    How about the sort-of deep end, try a month or two on the banana pancake trail (SE Asia). It's different and very exciting, but you're around other backpackers all the time and it's generally safe as long as you're not an idiot.

J

ReputationRep:
    For a first time traveller, I think there are two ways you could see travelling on your own:

1. You're too inexperienced - There are plenty of scams and general things to avoid when travelling. A lot of them are learnt from experience and if you're going on your own you'll lack many of these instincts.

2. You're being thrown in at the deep end - This could be good. You're skipping a lot of the organised trips for a real, raw travelling experience all on your own. You'll make a lot of mistakes, but I'm sure you'll learn from them.

Personally, I would go on a few organised trips first. With friends preferably just to get a feel for travelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintime)
    naive/inexperienced but I want to become a better person and try and cure this anxiety I have so figure that travelling is the best way.
    Travelling is a great way to learn about yourself so definitely do some sort of travelling. As far as I can see there are 3 basic options, travel with friends, travel with an organisation or travel by yourself. While travelling with friends is fun you aren't really going to learn anything about yourself, you will be within your comfort zone and you probably won't really make any real connections with people you meet while travelling. Travelling with an organisation isn't really my cup of tea because I would rather just do the things I want to do and there is a chance you will be stuck with people you don't really like and you can't get out of it but I doubt that would happen. Travelling alone is the best for learning about yourself, you have to deal with new things, make an effort to meet people and be more free than you normally would be.

I'd rule out travel with friends so it is between organised travel and travelling alone. If you go with organised travel you will probably be safer but I think you have less chance of learning things, going alone you won't have the safety of the organisation but you will learn a lot.

As for the safety of travelling alone I'd say it is safe as long as you act sensibly. You have just as much chance of something going wrong in your everyday life as you do when you travel alone if you aren't an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I think another key point to make is that if you're backpacking around alone, you're never really alone because you'll meet people all the time - might spend a week a two with one person, then leave them and meet a different person and travel with them for a bit etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeJBB)
    I think another key point to make is that if you're backpacking around alone, you're never really alone because you'll meet people all the time - might spend a week a two with one person, then leave them and meet a different person and travel with them for a bit etc. etc.
    True, it is easy to meet people, a lot of people travel alone and they are easy to find, they are carrying huge rucksacks and looking completely lost. Travel alone, it is fun and liberating!

ReputationRep:
    I grew up as a very anxioux and lonely girl, in an exessively protecting family. I had no friends to help me in outside world, and I going to supermarket was an adventure for me.
    BUT !!!.....
    This summer I did the craziest thing ever in my life : I went ALONE to CHINA ! ... for three whole weeks !!!! ALOOOONE !!!! can you imagine ?
    My only advice is just go. The conclusion of my trip is that we often worry too much about things/places/people we don't even know.
    After years of efforts, I realized that patience is the key . Travelling is indeed a good remedy for people Suffering from anxiety and low self esteem.
    Just be careful where and when you go, ask as many questions as possible, network, chat, check maps online, make local friens online. No one can just go as an 'explorer' without prior knowledge.
    Good luck !

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.