The Student Room Group

A levels options- what should i choose

biology chemistrymathsbusiness studieseconomicsmaths(i am not 100% sure on what i should do in college and soon i have to choose although i dont know whether i want to do medicine etc or in the future create my own business somehow.If anyone has chosen either pls share your thoughts and feelings and why you would/wouldnt choose the opposite if you went back)
Just so you know you don't have to have confirmed your subjects until your GCSE results day. When filling out applications for sixth forms or college they just want to know generally what your looking to do but nothing is for sure. Even once you've joined the school you usually still have the option to change subjects. So don't stress too much.
I myself want to do biosciences so I chose Chemistry, Biology and Maths. But that's because I really liked all those subjects. If your still don't know what route you want to take I would say do the subjects you like best. For medicine only chemistry is required so 100% do that. Whereas for business you don't necessarily need any specifics so mabye maths is a better subject to take. In my opinion you should take Chemistry, Maths and Biology. But that's totally up to you. If you can take one more subject I would say do business/economis even if it's just for 1 year.
Also talk to family and school teachers just so they can give you advice, also look on university websites for specific courses you could see yourself doing and see what subjects they require.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by CryingInMeCorner
biology chemistrymathsbusiness studieseconomicsmaths(i am not 100% sure on what i should do in college and soon i have to choose although i dont know whether i want to do medicine etc or in the future create my own business somehow.If anyone has chosen either pls share your thoughts and feelings and why you would/wouldnt choose the opposite if you went back)

I chose Biology, Chemistry and Maths because I really enjoyed those subjects at GCSE, but also because I want to do medicine or dentistry. I would say that if you're considering medicine then, definitely take Chemistry- ideally medical schools will also want you to take biology but it's not essential. But apart from that, I think that you should just choose subjects that you really enjoy because A Levels are quite different to GCSEs.

For me, I'd say that chemistry was definitely the biggest jump from GCSEs, but that shouldn't discourage you from taking it! I'm actually really enjoying them so far, it's challenging but I wouldn't change my subjects for anything else. :redface:

Another thing, if you don't enjoy your subjects after the first few lessons, you can always switch them. I know a few people that've done that. Hope this helps:biggrin:
Original post by CryingInMeCorner

Heya!
I did bio chem maths and economics :h: Economics was probably my favourite subject out of all of them! It was a nice refresher from the bio and chem heavy workload. Although I wouldn't recommend doing 4 a-levels as it's a lot of work. For finance and usually any business courses (although double check which particular course you want to go to), you just need maths so having bio and chem would be ok + chem/bio/maths is a great combo for a ton of medicine courses.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
If you want to study medicine, chemistry and biology are pretty much essential (and generally, the third subject can be anything you want). Also consider that a level business and economics aren't required for any degrees, but maths is required for a lot of degrees. Chemistry, biology and maths are the three subjects out of the ones you listed that will keep the most options open (for example even if you want to do economics at uni, maths is required by a lot of universities for economics and a level economics is never required).

Quick Reply

Latest