The Student Room Group

GCSE GRADE 8/9 Advice

I’m in year 11, need some advice on getting high grades, how much did people revise how did they revise etc, I’m hearing so much that people who get 8s and 9s study all the time etc

I just need to know from people who achieved them how they did it, especially how they revised, for sciences and all other subjects

Also for AQA science, if you focus on spec like learn everything on it guaranteed a 9.

Thanks, if your still reading hehe
Original post by og-iconx
I’m in year 11, need some advice on getting high grades, how much did people revise how did they revise etc, I’m hearing so much that people who get 8s and 9s study all the time etc

I just need to know from people who achieved them how they did it, especially how they revised, for sciences and all other subjects

Also for AQA science, if you focus on spec like learn everything on it guaranteed a 9.

i got all As&A*s for WJEC

i used BBC bitesize for basically everything
lots and lots of past papers
Physics and maths tutor for sciences
My revision notes text books for sciences
Reply 2
Original post by aliciaej

Thank you! Any tips on English?

I've got English tips! I got a 9 in English Literature and an 8 in English Language. I actually did my English Literature in 2019, as I took it in Year 10, but I was downgraded from a 9 to a 8 from my English Language mocks as I didn't do my other GCSES (COVID).

For English Literature, make sure to 'zoom in' on words and check out Mr Bruff for poetry. Also, try to think of creative but plausible interpretations. Analyse deeply but don't meander-keep reminding yourself of the question and keep referencing back to it. Remember to revise context! Flashcards might be useful for context and quotes, and mindmaps help with themes. Don't revise passively-be active in your revision and engage with what you're studying properly. Be strict with your timings. I'd recommend one point per paragraph and several quotations per paragraph.

As for English Language, utilise the analytical techniques that you do in English Literature to make inferences about what's happening in the passage or text given to you. Be strict with timing-a mark a minute is best. Always focus on what can give you more marks and not the questions that are worth less marks. Make sure to read outside of your studies to improve your grammar and vocabulary! Use paragraphs to organise the content of your answers. To do descriptive writing, keep in mind colours, senses and adjectives that can describe landscapes. Creative writing is harder to advise on. Keep your tenses consistent, try to be as compelling as possible and use similes, metaphors, etc. Don't add more than a few characters. It's not the same as writing for publication, where you have more free reign.

Believe in yourself! You've got this, good luck! If you need any more advice, PM me! :smile:

for english literature i used the york notes revision guides - you can find them on amazon etc
english language i cant remember how i revised, but past paper questions are always good
Nah, just study like 2 hours a day.

I guess everyone's different, but I definitely didn't spend hourssss every day just studying; I just wouldn't have been able to cope with that. Instead I did little bits of revision occasionally, and did lots of past paper questions. Anything I found difficult I would just ask my teachers for help with. But I think enjoying the subject also really helps, and motivates you to really understand it in detail.
For me, just writing out notes would've been useless, so instead, when it got near GCSEs, I made a list of the topics I wasn't too sure on and wrote down the key details and facts that I needed to know and also practiced with a friend. Saying it out loud also really helped.

Here's a youtube channel that you can use for AQA sciences, I would highly recommend him to anyone who's struggling or needs a bit more help with the sciences: https://www.youtube.com/c/Freesciencelessons

He also has a few workbooks, but I've never actually bought, or used, them or know anyone who has. However you should check out his channel if you haven't already. :smile:

Heya!
First, make a timetable and dedicate enough time to each subject. You don't have to do 6hrs of revisions every day, around 1.5hr per subject after school and around 5hrs during weekends should be enough. Make notes, and create flashcards! Study Mind offers plenty of free resources and advice for AQA sciences from free past papers to revision notes all done by topic to help you out :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study mind
Reply 8
Original post by Angel_11
If you're doing AQA GCSE biology, then make sure that you do loads of past paper questions, and use the mark scheme to mark your answers. This is very important, as the mark scheme is very particular about the types of words you use, as well as how you phrase and structure your answers. After a while you'll get used to it ,and know exactly what the examiner will be looking for when they mark your papers.

I found this website which is quite useful. https://www.my-gcsescience.com/biology-command-words-context/ It's about command words, these are key to making sure that you get the marks for longer questions e.g 6 markers. For 6 markers, you can actually use bullet points, as long as your answer is detailed. It actually makes it easier for the examiner to read and mark your work. However I believe that there are a few questions where using bullet points may not be possible. But for me, they really helped to structure my answers logically.

Thanks for the advice, Im struggling with GCSE AQA physics mostly, I get the content, I use the spec and everything, but I’m not able to answer exam questions, the wording really puts me off, I get that you should practise with exam questions, I did that for my Year 10 mocks did loads of exam questions but ended up with a 6, I find that doing exam questions I’m just reading off the Mark Scheme and not actually being able to answer the questions myself, and the questions never seem to come

What were your GCSE options? And how did you study for maths? Also wjec
Original post by paracqilo
What were your GCSE options? And how did you study for maths? Also wjec

I took triple science, music, geography & German. RE was also compulsory
(then of course maths & numeracy, English & eng lit, welsh and welsh bacc)

For maths, I revised using BBC Bitesize and did practice questions. Also used MyMaths a lot which was super helpful (but I think your school needs an account?). Also I watched a lot of MathsWatch videos on topics I struggled with. I do A Level maths now and the only thing I do (and I think the most effective) is just past paper questions!!! Look on the WJEC website at past papers, and do all the questions. Also, it wasn't around when I did my GCSEs but blended learning on the WJEC website is very good for lessons you struggle with/ general content revision
I took triple science, music, geography & German. RE was also compulsory
(then of course maths & numeracy, English & eng lit, welsh and welsh bacc)

For maths, I revised using BBC Bitesize and did practice questions. Also used MyMaths a lot which was super helpful (but I think your school needs an account?). Also I watched a lot of MathsWatch videos on topics I struggled with. I do A Level maths now and the only thing I do (and I think the most effective) is just past paper questions!!! Look on the WJEC website at past papers, and do all the questions. Also, it wasn't around when I did my GCSEs but blended learning on the WJEC website is very good for lessons you struggle with/ general content revision

Omg I’m so late to this but you did geography. How did you revise for it? There’s so ,ich contact in Wjec gcse geography

For math and IT i got 9s so i'll just explain how i revised for them instead.

Maths - I only did past papers and past papers alone. I must have printed out like a hundred different ones. I would do a past paper(not timing it) and see what i get stuck on. I had a tutor once a week so she could help me if i was really stuck on a question. Past papers are your best friend and there are so many of them on the internet - use every single one you find. If i go sick of past papers, i would go on https://www.youtube.com/@TheGCSEMathsTutor and watch their videos. They focus on specific topics and even have videos and practise questions including harder questions. I did revise a little bit of maths before the mocks but i wouldnt say i was putting all my effort in. I started putting effort in probably a week after the mocks and tried to do 3 past papers a week. One thing that helped me was - make sure you know why your know what your doing it, instead of memorizing and recognizing the question because that will then help your problem solving skills when your throw a disgusting questions.

IT - oh my god i hated IT. It was so boring. Am i doing it for A-level...? Yes. Yes i am. Again, i did past papers but i didnt revise as much compared to maths. I wasn't really good at the theory side of it so i also made flash cards and mind maps because some of that content can be confusing. When it came to programming, i did practise questions. IT was so hard for me to find motivation so its a miracle that i got a 9. I was so sure i was going to fail. I needed to fill in gaps so i just binged watched: https://www.youtube.com/@craigndave. If you search up GCSE programming challenges and then AQA it probably will come up with mini tasks and questions for you to do. Although you could just look at OCR or smt because python is python, it's not gonna change seeing as its a language.

Don't revise for too long because you will get suffer from burnout - that will not be fun. Nows the time to make the most out of your classes. Do as many worksheets as you can and just ask questions. Annoy your teachers and this will start to click. Physics and maths tutor is pretty much good for the majority of subjects. There are so many videos on youtube especially working through videos. There are also videos on tiktok which for some reason i find so crazy. It sounds crazy but talking to yourself or to another person helps, pretend your teaching the subject. I hope you do well :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by paracqilo
Omg I’m so late to this but you did geography. How did you revise for it? There’s so ,ich contact in Wjec gcse geography

i mostly used the ‘my revision notes’ WJEC GCSE geography revision guide!! also a lot of BBC bitesize - it’s more helpful than people think!

but now i’d really recommend going to the wjec website, finding gcse resources, and using geography blended learning lessons!! they didn’t exist when i did my gcses, but have been so so helpful with my a levels! they have lots of questions and they’re straightforward with what you need to know - they don’t ramble on like some books do

Quick Reply

Latest