Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just started year 10 and my predicted grade for maths is D + , im in set 2 , which is basically the higher set for maths.

In my school , we have a chance to do the actuall exam in year 10 , if we do bad we can re-do it in year 11.

I need to increase my grade to at least a C as I have a mock test for the year 10 exam on the 28th.

I dont know how to revise properly though , any tips

ReputationRep:
    practise makes perfect! (look for past paper questions)

ReputationRep:
    Well erm the BBC revise website for GCSE is really good , + dont worry about it just ask the teacher to regualay do tests in class my predicted was a D , & i gained a grade B, this came all from practice papers & revision classes after school , so i wish you luck , you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    Write out all your formulas and memorise them, then do tons of exercises from the book, and past paper questions, until you start getting comfortable with applying them.

ReputationRep:
    Millions of past papers. But don't just do them then forget about them. Go through them, mark it, and write down the topics you didn't get right, ask for help/revision books/sites, do the question again. Move on.

Also there's a brilliant CD called mathswatch

ReputationRep:
    Practice, practice, practice Really, you don't need to understand maths. You just need to get off your arse and work on it. And this is coming from a person who got Cs to Ds during Year 10 but managed to pull off an A for her GCSE final grade because I worked myself to near death for the few months before the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    WORK THROUGH THE TEXT BOOK thats all i did didn't even do past papers only lost a mark in my exam =)

ReputationRep:
    practice practice practice, also prediction grades mean jack ****.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Past papers =S
    Look at them, every year same questions come up
    That's what im planning to dofor my mocks
    ur lucky that u can do it in year 10 -.-

ReputationRep:
    A little risky but a useful tip here for you. When it comes to doing your exams, if you're on the C/D borderline, do the higher paper. It's a little known fact that it's generally more likely that you'd get a C on the higher paper than the Intermediate.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a Intermediate option anymore, or so my school leads me to believe

(Original post by zakiman)
    There isn't a Intermediate option anymore, or so my school leads me to believe
    Yeah it's true, intermediate is gone...

ReputationRep:
    Now it's just Higher (A*-C or a u) or Foundation (C is the best you can get)

Edit: On topic more, past papers are where the fun is. I just finished my Maths GCSE and i can tell you without the huge amount of past papers to do and go through it would have been much harder.

ReputationRep:
    repetition OP, just keep going over and over and over your notes.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a grade E on the higher maths papers if you are close to a D grade

ReputationRep:
    It was my understanding that you could drop to a C, but anything less is a U.

ReputationRep:
    i did intermediate and got a c in 2007 just preactise!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you understand all of the topics. If not, go and ask your teachers for help. beyond that, lots of past papers and questionhs is the only effective way to revise for maths. Best of luck.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.