The Student Room Group

Can i go to medical school?

Hi, I really want to study medicine in uni and then go on to specalise in neurology. However, My GCSE's werent amazing. I got two 7's , one 8 , five 6's, and two 5's. I tried really hard but if i knew i wanted to medicine back then i would have tried much harder.
I've picked Biology, Chemistry and Sociology A -level as well as an EPQ.
I dont know if this is enough but i just want someone to be honest if its good enough to get in.
Original post by M.ayEL
Hi, I really want to study medicine in uni and then go on to specalise in neurology. However, My GCSE's werent amazing. I got two 7's , one 8 , five 6's, and two 5's. I tried really hard but if i knew i wanted to medicine back then i would have tried much harder.
I've picked Biology, Chemistry and Sociology A -level as well as an EPQ.
I dont know if this is enough but i just want someone to be honest if its good enough to get in.

Hey,
Well done for getting those grades. GCSE 's were hard for me too because of the number of different subjects you had to do. Your gcse's are not too bad but it depends on what subjects you got your 2 5s in.

Also, for some Medical Universities do not really look at your GCSE'S as long you have got 6s in science maths and English it should be fine.
(edited 1 year ago)
The alternative is to take a gap year and apply with your A levels. That way no uncertainty and GCSEs count for nothing. Either work and put some money away or something fun like travel
Reply 3
Original post by asubramanih16
Hey,
Well done for getting those grades. GCSE 's were hard for me too because of the number of different subjects you had to do. Your gcse's are not too bad but it depends on what subjects you got your 2 5s in.

Also, for some Medical Universities do not really look at your GCSE'S as long you have got 6s in science maths and English it should be fine.

thank you, the thing is i got my two 5's in business and biology. I'm usually very good at biology and was getting 8's in all my mocks so i dont know what happened. I was only a couple marks of the next grade but i wasnt able to get it appealed because i was abroad after results day. thats why im especially worried. do you think its worth asking if i can still get that appealed or retaking biology gcse if thats possible?
Original post by M.ayEL
thank you, the thing is i got my two 5's in business and biology. I'm usually very good at biology and was getting 8's in all my mocks so i dont know what happened. I was only a couple marks of the next grade but i wasnt able to get it appealed because i was abroad after results day. thats why im especially worried. do you think its worth asking if i can still get that appealed or retaking biology gcse if thats possible?

Just a heads up, I am in year 13 so I am not fully sure if your still able to appeal your grade. I would email your school and check with them if that is still possible.

If you are not able to appeal your grade, I would recommend resitting your Biology GCSE as a private candidate in summer 2023 as it will allow you to have more options.
(edited 1 year ago)
yo thanks for asking this i have similar gcses since i was just very unfocused in year 11 admittedly and i was wondering the same thing except i had 5s in latin and computer science. i regret wasting my academic potential in gcse but we can only change our future. good luck
Yes, just focus on medical schools that are less GCSE heavy like Imperial or Newcastle.
Reply 7
Original post by Apachecow
The alternative is to take a gap year and apply with your A levels. That way no uncertainty and GCSEs count for nothing. Either work and put some money away or something fun like travel

Many med schools will still score GCSEs, even with achieved A levels, so they would not "count for nothing"
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest