The Student Room Group

How long does it take DSA to choose what to fund?

Edit: I actually got the response this morning, tho I didn't see it, only the email from the Disability Advisor at my uni telling me I should start arranging support etc.
The DSA Centre contacted them on my behalf to get them to reach out to help me with organising equipment etc.
What I don't understand is it seems the equivalent laptop they said they'd fund has worse specs than the 5 year old one they knew I was using? 🤣🤣
I had to list my specs when I told them I had a previous computer and my old Mac had an Intel i7 Core chip; they're funding one which is has an Intel Core i5 10th gen. I don't know much about computers but I know that's a lower spec in terms of the processor.
I also need to get them to change the Windows software to Mac. Needs assessor knew I used a Mac and have for decades. SFE do not. Everything else is web based.
Also, do you have to use the whole delivery setup and familiarisation time? There's a couple pieces of software I'm unfamiliar with, but they recommended Glean notes DSA, and I've been using a free trial since day one of my uni lectures (a week after DSA assessor recommended it. Perfect timing since my free trial just ended and I have read only access til the 28th when they cut me off haha), and recommended Grammarly Premium Academic, and I've been using the free version for years and was tired of waiting (have am essay due on the 28th, was worried I wouldn't have a reply by then) so paid for one month premium and immediately cancelled the subscription (which has really ready helped me tweak my introduction to make it smoother)
There's no way I need 4 2h sessions; can I tell them I need much less? I mean the contact details are in the form, maybe I can email and say I've used the free versions of X and Y before, and the Mic I'm getting (I knew it would take ages, found the mic cheap on amazon so bought it ro use inthe interim. Maybe J need to change the settings, but I've found there's less crackly microphone feedback and my recordings sound better without it)

I applied for DSA in August. I had my assessment remotely on the 19th September, and received the report on the 3rd October (which is also when it got sent off to SFE/DSA). How long did it take you to get a confirmation email from them describing what they will and what they won't fund?
I was stressing a bit about my old laptop anyway when the report was sent out, and wanted to take advantage of Apple's student back to school event which gave me a £120 gift card (which ended on the 17th October) so I have to get them to remove the recommendation for a laptop upgrade as well.
I didn't know how long it would take - I'm supposed to get assisted software such as Grammarly Premium (which I bought a subscription for anyway, and cancelled so I'm only paying for this month to help with my essay due at the end of this week) and also Glean notes (I tried a free trial and I have read only access until the end of this week. Luckily, it's reading week, so I don't go back til the 2nd as I'm in a foundation year so my lectures are only Wed to Friday mornings. But obviously I've been using the free trial to help me take notes in class and need access to the recordings - which the uni have let me do - to type up my notes etc) as well as things like study skills mentoring specific to ASD/ADHD which haven't been put in place yet as its DSA funding them.

From a bit of digging after I received the form and it went to DSA, the websites I've found have suggested between 10-15 working days (today has been 15 working days since the form was sent off) and 20 working days. Has it taken anyone any longer?
(edited 1 year ago)
I would say 10-15 days sounds about right from the two times I did it. Just to double-check though: you said the report was sent to you, are you sure you didn't have to do anything after that, like say you approve the report or something? I think I did have to confirm I was happy with the content of the report, but maybe that's because I asked to see it before it was sent, or because I'm postgrad...
Reply 2
As above - I guess you checked that you have done everything your end?
You could always do a follow-up call to check on progress.
I got the email this morning :smile: I was just slightly worried
, cos my free trial access to Glean etc was expiring, and it would be very helpful to change the essay planning software. Just a couple of questions;

Basically, since I've had the free trial of Glean for taking my notes and I've been using the free version of Grammarly for a few years (and just paid a month's subscription cos I was tired of waiting) & one of the other things I have access to (Scholarcy) I also tested with a free trial I kind of know how to use them. So I know I won't need 8 hours of 1-1 assistive technology training (2 hr sessions x4) Do I just contact them and say I've tested the free trials of some of the software, so I don't need 8 hours worth of training? I'll obviously need some training, but not 8 hours worth, seems a bit of a waste to SFE to pay for something I won't use (they pay per 2h session). Also, if I've bought my computer upgrade on the open market already (it was incredibly slow and causing me issues, and I was genuinely quite worried it wouldn't make it to now), how would I go about claiming a reimbursement on it? I'm not expecting them to reimburse me cos I bought it before the DSA2 entitlement letter (unless the DSA2 entitlement letter is the report from the assessor; I bought it after I received that, but before I got this one) but I'm hoping they might as I was worried I wouldn't be able to record lectures etc which would set me behind with my course.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I would say 10-15 days sounds about right from the two times I did it. Just to double-check though: you said the report was sent to you, are you sure you didn't have to do anything after that, like say you approve the report or something? I think I did have to confirm I was happy with the content of the report, but maybe that's because I asked to see it before it was sent, or because I'm postgrad...
Original post by Agiwghthtwtbey
I got the email this morning :smile: I was just slightly worried
, cos my free trial access to Glean etc was expiring, and it would be very helpful to change the essay planning software. Just a couple of questions;

Basically, since I've had the free trial of Glean for taking my notes and I've been using the free version of Grammarly for a few years (and just paid a month's subscription cos I was tired of waiting) & one of the other things I have access to (Scholarcy) I also tested with a free trial I kind of know how to use them. So I know I won't need 8 hours of 1-1 assistive technology training (2 hr sessions x4) Do I just contact them and say I've tested the free trials of some of the software, so I don't need 8 hours worth of training? I'll obviously need some training, but not 8 hours worth, seems a bit of a waste to SFE to pay for something I won't use (they pay per 2h session). Also, if I've bought my computer upgrade on the open market already (it was incredibly slow and causing me issues, and I was genuinely quite worried it wouldn't make it to now), how would I go about claiming a reimbursement on it? I'm not expecting them to reimburse me cos I bought it before the DSA2 entitlement letter (unless the DSA2 entitlement letter is the report from the assessor; I bought it after I received that, but before I got this one) but I'm hoping they might as I was worried I wouldn't be able to record lectures etc which would set me behind with my course.

Glad it came through! I'm afraid I have no idea about your second question: my DSA is under the 'old' system (I was in the last year group to receive a completely free laptop, so have no idea how one goes about claiming for laptop purchases or upgrades!) :colondollar:

Regarding the first question, since the sessions are split into 4 x 2 hours, you should be fine to only book what you need (because the trainer person can only invoice for what you book them in for! I don't think I used my final lot of 2 hours, so the person was only paid 2 x 3 rather than 2 x 4). I don't think you need to inform the funding body that you need fewer but if you're worried or not sure, you should ask your DSA needs assessor's advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest