Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chivalry.... watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Women carry and mother children, so its necessary to show them respect. They need protecting in the fact that its easy for them to be taken advantage of, in a physical and non-literal sense.

I'd like to believe that men and women are equal, but that is not the case and chivelry is necessary to bridge the gap between the sexes.
    Its clearly dying out. I've been at Uni for 6 weeks and not one guy has ever offered to make me a cup of tea and I've been slapped by guys twice.
    Would you like a cuppa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Erm, wtf?! Why?
    Also, no one has offered you tea?!!! :woo: That's worse than the slappings! :eek: :no:
    I know, sad times
    And the guys downstairs pinch my food and then ask me why they have bad karma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I've been at Uni for 6 weeks and not one guy has ever offered to make me a cup of tea and I've been slapped by guys twice.
    thats the price you pay for equality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adje)
    Do as Jesus would; turn the other cheek.
    hahahahaha, brilliant post, I'd rep you but I already repped someone today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im sorry if I come across as being mysognist (sp?) but its a issue which I feel should have been brought up in the thread about what to do if your girl friend is attacked.

We are bombarded all the time that we are all equal blah blah blah, men + woman. Lots of old age things have gone, but a woman STILL expects a bloke to defend her, or not to punch a woman.

Wtf? Sure if its a relative/gf/spouse by all means defend or you are a prick, but thats nothing to do with gender. Thats protecting ones you love.

But protecting woman (or not hitting them for that matter), Why?

Why can you bottle a bloke and not a girl? Last time I looked they can both be as annoying and offensive as each other.

Just curious to hear your opinion :o:
    Probably because men, are usually physically stronger? I know personally, it looks much worse for a guy to hit a girl, rather then the other way around. Probably something to do with, the guy is unlikely to be a "victim" of abuse if his girlfriend hits her (as it is seen as the guy is able to fend off abuse being stronger), while a girl who is being hit, may be powerless.

ReputationRep:
    I know guys who are abused by their girlfriends or just female friends in general. Being male doesn't negate the fact you can (and in this day and age may well be) a victim of abuse from females despite having a degree of physical superiority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    I believe I'm chivalrous. I offer to buy girls drinks, hold doors open for them, walk them to bus stops and stay with them til their bus arrives, etc, etc.
    Attention guys:

Please be like this man.

Thank you.

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    Attention guys:

Please be like this man.

Thank you.

Thank You... where are all the girls like you though?!? All my female friends get immensely irritated!

The other night I was with a girl who went into town with a group of us. One by one everyone else vanished, and we ended up on our own. So we wandered to her bus stop, and I was waiting with her (she had to get a different bus and my stop was a bit of a walk off). Virtually every other sentance she said was "You should go and get your bus."

Come on! I'm just being nice! I'm quite happy to sit and wait - why was she trying to get rid of me?!?

I mean yes, admittedly I do fancy her rotten and every spare moment I could catch alone with her was amazing, but still!

ReputationRep:
    Attention guys:

Please be like this man.

Thank you.

LOL we need more GIRLS like u that appreciate this!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank You... where are all the girls like you though?!? All my female friends get immensely irritated!

The other night I was with a girl who went into town with a group of us. One by one everyone else vanished, and we ended up on our own. So we wandered to her bus stop, and I was waiting with her (she had to get a different bus and my stop was a bit of a walk off). Virtually every other sentance she said was "You should go and get your bus."

Come on! I'm just being nice! I'm quite happy to sit and wait - why was she trying to get rid of me?!?

I mean yes, admittedly I do fancy her rotten and every spare moment I could catch alone with her was amazing, but still!
    I thought most girls would like those kinds of things.. but apparently not!

The bus stop thing is sweet to do. I know I would have appreciated it!

I would probably only tell you something like "you should get your bus" once.. because even though I appreciate things like that, I do feel kinda bad about making you wait. But, if it's not a big deal to you, I think I would just drop it and enjoy your niceness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    LOL we need more GIRLS like u that appreciate this!!
    I didn't think I was that rare! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    who says it's OK to bottle anybody?
    The Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    women are physically weaker. it's not really chivalry when you don't hit a woman, it's just sense. it's not fair to use your greater physical strength against anything smaller or physically weaker than you; women, children, animals.

my boyfriend feels guilty just giving my bottom a little pat :p:

edit: although i like my independence, i love love love being treated like a girl sometimes. i adore my boyfriend protecting me and paying for me and things like this. i don't expect it all the time, but it's lovely when it happens.

ReputationRep:
    I thought most girls would like those kinds of things.. but apparently not!

The bus stop thing is sweet to do. I know I would have appreciated it!

I would probably only tell you something like "you should get your bus" once.. because even though I appreciate things like that, I do feel kinda bad about making you wait. But, if it's not a big deal to you, I think I would just drop it and enjoy your niceness.
    I'm pretty sure everyone I try and be chivalrous to just finds it incredibly creepy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure everyone I try and be chivalrous to just finds it incredibly creepy.
    Really? Whenever a guy does something like open the door for me.. I think I automatically fall in love with him.

But yeah, now I fear I'll meet a guy one day who used to be chivalrous, but isn't when I meet him because *apparently* no girls except me appreciate it. That would suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tissue shoulders)
    women are physically weaker. it's not really chivalry when you don't hit a woman, it's just sense. it's not fair to use your greater physical strength against anything smaller or physically weaker than you; women, children, animals.

my boyfriend feels guilty just giving my bottom a little pat :p:

edit: although i like my independence, i love love love being treated like a girl sometimes. i adore my boyfriend protecting me and paying for me and things like this. i don't expect it all the time, but it's lovely when it happens.
    are you vegan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    are you vegan?
    animal violence is different from eating meat. in my opinion. but that's a discussion for another day... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tissue shoulders)
    animal violence is different from eating meat. in my opinion. but that's a discussion for another day... :rolleyes:
    so because you eat the meat it's okay to be violent?

if you want to discuss it further, PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    I hate the whole 'you can't hit a woman' thing. If a woman hits you, hit her back, dude!
    yeah, the way i look at it is, if they complain after that theyre weaker and all that bull then they shouldnt have hit me anyway

ReputationRep:
    Really? Whenever a guy does something like open the door for me.. I think I automatically fall in love with him.

But yeah, now I fear I'll meet a guy one day who used to be chivalrous, but isn't when I meet him because *apparently* no girls except me appreciate it. That would suck.
    Meh... I wish people I met were like that. My current love interest seems to think ANY level of chivalry is an insult... very frustrating. :shifty: I can't even pay her a compliment without her thinking I'm a ****.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.