Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the argument that men can be hit because they are physically stronger. Would you allow a weak guy to punch you just because you are stronger than him? I sure wouldn't.

I think self-defense is important. I don't agree with knocking anyone out, no matter their gender. If they try to hit or kick you, defend yourself by hitting their arm or leg, hard. No need to go for the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    Meh... I wish people I met were like that. My current love interest seems to think ANY level of chivalry is an insult... very frustrating. :shifty: I can't even pay her a compliment without her thinking I'm a ****.
    Awww, deep down I love compliments, but I feel like I don't actually take them that well.. I'm always like "awww thanks" or something like that, but I still always fear coming off as un-modest or something. I'm ridiculous. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Its clearly dying out. I've been at Uni for 6 weeks and not one guy has ever offered to make me a cup of tea and I've been slapped by guys twice.
    Maybe youre just really annoying.

Chivalry is most certainly dead apart from in a few select guys. Men and women are NOT equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Hox)
    Maybe youre just really annoying.

Chivalry is most certainly dead apart from in a few select guys. Men and women are NOT equal.
    i like this post (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    I didn't think I was that rare! lol
    Girls that appreciate chivalry are very very hard to find.

I know im a gentleman when I want to be, girls have said it themselves. But my exterior image says otherwise LOL

It's a shame really when I see nice, decent girls going out with boys that dont fully appreciate them and basically treat them like ****

ReputationRep:
    Men and women are NOT equal.
    What do you mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    What do you mean by that?
    That men and women are not equal. There are large differences between the genders and no amount of PC is going to bridge the gap.

ReputationRep:
    That men and women are not equal. There are large differences between the genders and no amount of PC is going to bridge the gap.
    Yes, but 'not equal' in what way?

ReputationRep:
    As a girl I definitely like chivalry, but manners is a better term for what I see and do. I open doors for people (or at least keep it open if someone is close behind me) even when it's a guy. I do enjoy it and offer a smile and a thanks for guys who refuse to go ahead of me and take up the 'door man' duty from me. Same thing with carrying bags; if someone much older than me (mother, father, much older sibling, aunts, etc.) are holding shopping bags, I offer to carry it for them. I give up my seat for elders, handicaps, and pregnant folks as well.

As for waiting for bus stops and all that, hell, I'm a girl and I still do that. When I drop a girl off at her house and I'm in my car, I wait in the car until I am sure she is inside the house before leaving, It's just common sense and even consider it a safety precaution; it would suck being a chick, stuck outside of your house at 1 am because you forgot your keys. With bus stops, if a guy waits to make sure I am alright, he would immediately be endearing to me; not because of 'chivalry' but decency and manners.

...unless you guys wanna say I'm a chivlarous girl. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Yes, but 'not equal' in what way?
    There are many things that men are better than women at and vice versa.

We are the stronger gender, we are much better at jobs which require physical exertion.

Your go

ReputationRep:
    I do try to behave slightly differently around girls, I don't swear like I would around guys, and I will hold doors etc for a girl. However if I got hit by a girl she'd get it back.

ReputationRep:
    But isn't it obvious, you wouldn't get into a physical fight with anyone weaker than yourself? If an old man aged 103 tried to fight me, i'd just restrain him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    But isn't it obvious, you wouldn't get into a physical fight with anyone weaker than yourself? If an old man aged 103 tried to fight me, i'd just restrain him.
    Thats utter bull.

If a scrawny guy came up to me and managed to annoy me enough to hit him, Im not gonna hold back simply because he is weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Ok fine, but you wouldn't feel a bit guilty if you actually really hurt them, but they were too weak to do you any damage at all?

Edit: Which part of leicester are you from if I may ask? :p:
    Ive never ever been in a fight and will only ever respond to someone whos either hit me or annoyed me enough and is basically asking to get hit. In such a situation, while I would still feel guilty that Ive hurt another human, its practically necessary. If they are that weak, they shouldnt be trying to bully people stronger than them.

I am from...India lol, but lived in Evington for a year or so, and I now live in Queniborough near Syston. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    Attention guys:

Please be like this man.

Thank you.

:yep:
    http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...puppetscc3.gif

I was looking for an opportunity to use this gif again.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    So men aren't needed to continue the human race. :rolleyes:
    Both are needed but they do the majority of the work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willpbuck)
    Both are needed but they do the majority of the work
    check date before posting<_<

ReputationRep:
    I don't think physical violence should be used with anyone, especially those who cannot defend themselves. Generally speaking (not in ALL cases!) women are weaker than the men who hit them... I think that's why it's so unacceptable for men to hit women.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.