The Student Room Group

A- level sociology crime & deviance

Analyse two reasons for the under-representation of corporate crime in official crime statistics (10 marks)

Please someone help this is my worst topic, how to answer this question preferably in the PEELE structure
Original post by fareeda234
Analyse two reasons for the under-representation of corporate crime in official crime statistics (10 marks)

Please someone help this is my worst topic, how to answer this question preferably in the PEELE structure

See https://blablawriting.net/white-collar-corporate-crime-represented-criminal-statistics-essay
Reply 2
not sure on how to structure a 10 mark, we don’t have that in the spec I do… the main point is that corporate crime is looked into less. I’m going to assume you need 2 reasons:

in terms of content, you could talk about the way corporate crime is policed - e.g. Marxists argue that corporate crime is hidden as the state and law enforcers tend to be wealthy / middle class so they make laws in their favour, meaning white collar crime is less likely to be policed - that would be reflected in statistics as the prosecution rate would be low
some evidence for that could be Snider (argues capitalist states are reluctant to pass laws that regulate business activity), or Gordon (found that crime exists in all classes despite this not being reflected in statistics - the dark figure of crime)

another reason could be perceptions of different types of crime - bring in labelling theory possibly? for example Cicourel argues police officers over-patrolled working class areas due to working class individuals being perceived as more deviant in comparison to corporates who are deemed professional, have a higher status - so the crimes of the poor are exaggerated. this obviously makes statistics invalid as corporate crime again is not investigated to the same degree.

the distinction between the two points being one is about how the types of crime are perceived, and the other on the judicial system being in favour of corporates

again I don’t have 10 markers for crime and deviance so I’m unsure if I hit all the marks for you but hope this helps

Quick Reply