Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the posts, I've written a short letter and stuck it to our corridor's door so everyone will see it, I've been as blunt as possible (ta Mathematica lol) have a read;
    To the person who vomited in the shower cubicle,

I never thought that in a million years I would have to write a letter such as this. Well, here I am writing it to you. For whatever reason you have for leaving your vomit in the shower cubicle, be it alcohol induced (this is not a proper excuse as I drink alcohol without being sick) or illness, or some other reason, it is gross. I speak on behalf of the 4th floor when I say, please clean it up! It is very unhygienic and as you know, leaves others unable to use that shower. It is also not very nice for the cleaners to have to sort out (as they work very hard cleaning up other day-to-day mess). As everyone knows, cleaners only come during the week, and thus the mess has been left since Friday night.

So, I (and everyone else living in this corridor) would be very grateful if you got some cleaning products (for example, diluted bleach, paper towels, carrier bags, anti-bacterial agents, boiling water), and thoroughly cleaned the mess you have left behind.

From a very concerned and disgusted resident.

What do you reckon I should do if incidents like this occur frequently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    where the hell do you go to uni?
    The same place you did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainlumpy)
    Thanks so much for the posts, I've written a short letter and stuck it to our corridor's door so everyone will see it, I've been as blunt as possible (ta Mathematica lol) have a read;
    To the person who vomited in the shower cubicle,

I never thought that in a million years I would have to write a letter such as this. Well, here I am writing it to you. For whatever reason you have for leaving your vomit in the shower cubicle, be it alcohol induced (this is not a proper excuse as I drink alcohol without being sick) or illness, or some other reason, it is gross. I speak on behalf of the 4th floor when I say, please clean it up! It is very unhygienic and as you know, leaves others unable to use that shower. It is also not very nice for the cleaners to have to sort out (as they work very hard cleaning up other day-to-day mess). As everyone knows, cleaners only come during the week, and thus the mess has been left since Friday night.

So, I (and everyone else living in this corridor) would be very grateful if you got some cleaning products (for example, diluted bleach, paper towels, carrier bags, anti-bacterial agents, boiling water), and thoroughly cleaned the mess you have left behind.

From a very concerned and disgusted resident.

What do you reckon I should do if incidents like this occur frequently?

Does no one on your floor shower?

*Assumes the sick is still there*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottyLP)
    Does no one on your floor shower?

*Assumes the sick is still there*
    There are two showers (one pukey, one non-pukey) but it gets quite busy (hence why there are two in the first place). I can't use the non-pukey one cos it is right next to the pukey one which has sick seeping out of its door *shudders* so I used my old flat's showers (I used to share a room due to over-subscription and have been recently re-located to this place) instead. Oh, yes the puke is still there.

ReputationRep:
    I can sympathise with both parties. Came in one night very ill (yes from drink) and was sick in the sink in my room. Being in no fit state to clear it up, I just left it until the next morning when all the liquid had drained off and it was a compacted carroty mess! At least
    1. This was MY sink
    and
    2. I did clear it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcisthealphabet)
    I can sympathise with both parties. Came in one night very ill (yes from drink) and was sick in the sink in my room. Being in no fit state to clear it up, I just left it until the next morning when all the liquid had drained off and it was a compacted carroty mess! At least
    1. This was MY sink
    and
    2. I did clear it up!
    Yeah exactly but in communal areas, c'mon! What else annoyed me is that once they've recovered the next day, why don't they clean it up?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just so incredibly shocked that people could be that disgusting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    The same place you did.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, the puke is still there (lets remind all of you it has been there since Friday) and the cleaners have been and gone, not that I can blame them for not clearing it up. My letter (surprisingly) has been ignored.

ReputationRep:
    That is truly horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, the puke is still there (lets remind all of you it has been there since Friday) and the cleaners have been and gone, not that I can blame them for not clearing it up. My letter (surprisingly) has been ignored.

thats vulgar

ReputationRep:
    Grow a ******* spine and clear it up yourself. Dettol, hot water, mop, gloves. Bosh. All clean and ready to go. And because you've fannied around waiting for the cleaners to sort it, they'll report back to housekeeping who'll be sending your flat a letter, probably fining you for unacceptable condition of the living space. Talk to your housemates. I don't care if they're from Timbuktu, they're people at the end of the day and they should act like civilised human beings. Cleaning up after yourself is pretty damn basic.

Have a chat with them about it and speak to housekeeping, before they drop a letter in to your flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Grow a ******* spine and clear it up yourself. Dettol, hot water, mop, gloves. Bosh. All clean and ready to go. And because you've fannied around waiting for the cleaners to sort it, they'll report back to housekeeping who'll be sending your flat a letter, probably fining you for unacceptable condition of the living space. Talk to your housemates. I don't care if they're from Timbuktu, they're people at the end of the day and they should act like civilised human beings. Cleaning up after yourself is pretty damn basic.

Have a chat with them about it and speak to housekeeping, before they drop a letter in to your flat.
    I would clean it up but A) I really don't have the stomach for it, B) I've got a fat ass essay to do and lots of reading, and I think that is higher priority really than cleaning up somebody elses mess (which I do on a frequent basis in order to make it possible to cook as the kitchen is left in a state anyway). I've seen a couple of people around and they just gave me blank stares like they didn't know when I told them about it . It's really hard trying to get them all together but I'm gonna suggest a meeting in the kitchen or something so those who are fed up as me can voice their feelings. Also I don't really think it should be just down to me to sort stuff out, its making me look like a moany old man cos I care about hygiene in communal areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaleuk)
    I'm just so incredibly shocked that people could be that disgusting!
    You'd be surprised. I'm not shocked at all and I've read far worse student house share threads on TSR.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=453928

Well worth a read, unless you've just eaten. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would clean it up but A) I really don't have the stomach for it, B) I've got a fat ass essay to do and lots of reading, and I think that is higher priority really than cleaning up somebody elses mess (which I do on a frequent basis in order to make it possible to cook as the kitchen is left in a state anyway). I've seen a couple of people around and they just gave me blank stares like they didn't know when I told them about it . It's really hard trying to get them all together but I'm gonna suggest a meeting in the kitchen or something so those who are fed up as me can voice their feelings. Also I don't really think it should be just down to me to sort stuff out, its making me look like a moany old man cos I care about hygiene in communal areas.
    In the time it's taken you to make this thread, you could have just cleaned the bloody thing up. You're going to have to talk to them as and when you see them. Explain that it's not acceptable.

More importantly, however - get in contact with housekeeping. Explain the situation. Cleaners do 2 things at work - clean, and gossip. They'll have blabbed to their manager that there was vomit in a particular flat's shower cubicle. You will be contacted by housekeeping/FM, advising you of the unacceptable state of the facilities. You'll probably receive a hefty fine. I don't think 10 minutes away from your studies will have much of a difference on your work schedule. It's not pleasant, cleaning up sick, but I can tell you something that's less pleasant... a fine. Particularly with Christmas coming up and where most students are going to be skint towards the end of the semester.

Get your priorities sorted and take the initiative to fix the problem BEFORE it escalates, rather than pass the buck, which is a very irresponsible thing to do. If it happens again, then make a formal complaint to the accomodation team, but you have to make it clear to your flatmates that what one of them has done is unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    One of my flatmates threw up outside our building and went and got a bucket of water and cleaned it up! He was absolutely smashed out of his mind, yet still did it.

Can't say I would have. But yes, what an inconsiderate tosser. Maybe they just aren't aware of it? Blackout + lack of checking the bathroom?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they will fine the floor straight away. The manager will most likely threaten to fine if it's not cleaned up by a certain date. I definitely wouldn't clean it up if I didn't do it and I would refuse to pay any fines as a result. Surely it can't be legal for a halls manager to just decide to take an amount of money off someone for whatever they decide, otherwise you may as well just get them a bank card for your account straight away. My floor got threatened with fines all year because some people wouldn't wash up or put their dishes away but it never actually got that far. Instead the cleaners got told to take them in a bag to the storage room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    You'd be surprised. I'm not shocked at all and I've read far worse student house share threads on TSR.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=453928

Well worth a read, unless you've just eaten. :yep:

eww eww eww at some of those

ReputationRep:
    To those that are interested/bored (more likely this one ) its finally been cleared up hooray! I managed to get the message to a more managerial person of the cleaners and it hadn't been reported to her by any of the cleaners, so I think she may have told someone to go clear it up due to health and safety etc. Just hope it doesn't happen again! I have one other issue though... somebody keeps peeing on the toilet seat and its an all girls floor...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.