The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham vs Birmingham vs Leeds vs Bristol

I have an offer from Durham University, University of Birmingham, Leeds and Bristol for MSc Marketing. I am an international student so I can’t go to the school’s opening day.

Whats important to me is a strong reputation and academic stance, good job prospects, an attractive city or campus.

Any advice on which of these I should pick would be really helpful ! Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
hi can i know how many months you wait until you get offer from universities? thank you
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by elena_k
I have an offer from Durham University and University of Birmingham for MSc Marketing. I am an international student so I can’t go to the school’s opening day.

Whats important to me is a strong reputation and academic stance, good job prospects, an attractive city or campus.

It would depend on your interests. Durham has a strog reputation. Birmingham has a decent reputation but with good social life.

If you are focused on the University itself, I’d advise Durham. Apply to University College, Hatfield or St Mary’s.
Reply 3
Original post by Haya12345
hi can i know how many months you wait until you get offer from universities? thank you

7 days for Durham and 12 days for Birmingham
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by elena_k
7 days for Durham and 12 days for Birmingham

I do not know why university did not give me any offers... Around 6 months
Durham
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
It would depend on your interests. Durham has a strog reputation. Birmingham has a decent reputation but with good social life.

If you are focused on the University itself, I’d advise Durham. Apply to University College, Hatfield or St Mary’s.

This really helped, thank you so much!
How about Bristol and Leeds when comparing to
Durham?
I’ve been looking for information but still very confused.
Thanks again
Original post by elena_k
This really helped, thank you so much!
How about Bristol and Leeds when comparing to
Durham?
I’ve been looking for information but still very confused.
Thanks again

They all have strong reputations but I would pick Durham as the most prestigious imho. The major drawback is that Durham’s social life is apparently not as good as Leeds or Bristol. I think Leeds would have the best social/night life among the 3 options.
Reply 8
Original post by Wired_1800
They all have strong reputations but I would pick Durham as the most prestigious imho. The major drawback is that Durham’s social life is apparently not as good as Leeds or Bristol. I think Leeds would have the best social/night life among the 3 options.

Got it! Thanks again for your advice
Original post by elena_k
I have an offer from Durham University, University of Birmingham, Leeds and Bristol for MSc Marketing. I am an international student so I can’t go to the school’s opening day.

For academic reputation it is frankly quite straightforward:
Durham > Bristol > Leeds > Birmingham.

Durham is also probably safer than the other cities especially Birmingham, and the city itself is very pretty as you could imagine it is a university that preserves heritage from the 19th century. The social life is probably not as good as Leeds or Bristol but it really isn't that bad and if you want a big night out, Newcastle is just 10 minutes away (on a train).
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous

Durham is also probably safer than the other cities especially Birmingham, and the city itself is very pretty as you could imagine it is a university that preserves heritage from the 19th century. The social life is probably not as good as Leeds or Bristol but it really isn't that bad and if you want a big night out, Newcastle is just 10 minutes away (on a train).

Thanks for replying ! I got a scholarship worth £11016 from Birmingham. What will u choose, consider the scholarship, between Birmingham and Durham ? Although my parents said the tuition isn’t a problem.

Employers and academics are not going to differentiate between candidates from these Russell Group universities. They are going to be more interested in the grade you achieve, amongst other things. There is no evidence to say that Durham is better than the other universities. Infact Durham is falling badly in the THES global ranking, which is an important ranking.
Original post by elena_k
Thanks for replying ! I got a scholarship worth £11016 from Birmingham. What will u choose, consider the scholarship, between Birmingham and Durham ? Although my parents said the tuition isn’t a problem.

Congrats on the scholarship! Durham is still better than Birmingham, and in the long run, I would think a Durham degree is still significantly better. If tuition would have been an issue for me I would have gone with Birmingham, but if my parents told me it is not a problem, I would have surely gone with Durham.

Original post by StarLinyx
Employers and academics are not going to differentiate between candidates from these Russell Group universities. They are going to be more interested in the grade you achieve, amongst other things. There is no evidence to say that Durham is better than the other universities. Infact Durham is falling badly in the THES global ranking, which is an important ranking.

Ahh, of course, someone brought up Russell Group unis, one thing you need to understand is that Russell Group unis are not some sort of Gold standard, yes sure there is some top unis part of it but not all of them are the same level. Durham is surely better than Birmingham. Oxford/Cambridge/LSE is most definitely better than Birmingham.
In the business world, employers do differentiate between candidates based on universities, and Durham holds a significant edge over Birmingham in its business school programs. You have cherry picked one ranking table, Durham is a top 5 uni in the UK based on the majority of UK university rankings. Plus, league tables are mainly based on research output and student satisfaction.

I suggest the OP should go search online, type in Linkedin UK, and then the name of some select top companies and then either University of Birmingham or Durham University, and the difference will be clear. I would also suggest connecting with people in those companies and seeing what they think about which university you should choose.
Congrats on the scholarship! Durham is still better than Birmingham, and in the long run, I would think a Durham degree is still significantly better. If tuition would have been an issue for me I would have gone with Birmingham, but if my parents told me it is not a problem, I would have surely gone with Durham.

Ahh, of course, someone brought up Russell Group unis, one thing you need to understand is that Russell Group unis are not some sort of Gold standard, yes sure there is some top unis part of it but not all of them are the same level. Durham is surely better than Birmingham. Oxford/Cambridge/LSE is most definitely better than Birmingham.
In the business world, employers do differentiate between candidates based on universities, and Durham holds a significant edge over Birmingham in its business school programs. You have cherry picked one ranking table, Durham is a top 5 uni in the UK based on the majority of UK university rankings. Plus, league tables are mainly based on research output and student satisfaction.

I suggest the OP should go search online, type in Linkedin UK, and then the name of some select top companies and then either University of Birmingham or Durham University, and the difference will be clear. I would also suggest connecting with people in those companies and seeing what they think about which university you should choose.

Whatever, how young are you? If you look at the top companies in the most competitive careers, Birmingham and Leeds are well represented. Employers do not think Durham is better, thus they have to hire more graduates from there. The G5 universities might have an edge over others, but Durham is not in that league, not now, not ever.

Quick Reply

Latest