Conditionality of US uni offers? Watch

CanBeAPineapple
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I had previously heard that US university offers are unconditional, and that once you're accepted you're in. A friend of mine who went to UCLA last year was accepted with a predicted of 42ish and actually scored 35, and still went to UCLA. But then the Yale Admissions Officer told us when visiting that you still need to achieve a grade similar to what you're predicted, otherwise your offer could be taken back.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Exactly how much leeway does a US applicant have when accepted; are offers rescinded often?

thanks
LSEfreak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nish81)
I had previously heard that US university offers are unconditional, and that once you're accepted you're in. A friend of mine who went to UCLA last year was accepted with a predicted of 42ish and actually scored 35, and still went to UCLA. But then the Yale Admissions Officer told us when visiting that you still need to achieve a grade similar to what you're predicted, otherwise your offer could be taken back.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Exactly how much leeway does a US applicant have when accepted; are offers rescinded often?

thanks
If you dont think that you can get what you are predicted. Dont be predicted that. It is reasonable to withdraw your place. or give you conditionals similar to your predicted.
CanBeAPineapple
Rep:
?
I think I can, but it's so hard to get it that I might just have a bad day and end up achieving something 3-4 points lower..this is what I'm worried about.
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When kids get offers, they usually stop caring about school work. They get lazy becuase they know they are already accepted at a university they want to go to. This results in dropping of grades, and lower exam scores. Yale is aware of this and they want to prevent this so they scare you into keeping up your effort in school.
LSEfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think I can, but it's so hard to get it that I might just have a bad day and end up achieving something 3-4 points lower..this is what I'm worried about.
a good candidate will be confident in what they are able to achieve. So if you think you can get 42 then an offer of 42 is reasonable. Hence thats why there are predictions. Universities expect you to get that not like 35.
dismal_laundry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's more what your teachers think you are likely to get.
Agneisse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

thanks
In theory they can take back your offer for almost any valid reason and frequently send threatening letters warning you to continue working hard blah blah. In practice, however, (from anecdotal experience at my school) students have applied with straight As and then fallen to Bs and Cs in their high school second semester grades and still kept their places without much sweat. Generally for IB, you have to fail your Diploma to not get in.

So, pretty hard to get an offer rescinded. Unless you do a Blair Hornstein
CanBeAPineapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by LSEfreak)
a good candidate will be confident in what they are able to achieve. So if you think you can get 42 then an offer of 42 is reasonable. Hence thats why there are predictions. Universities expect you to get that not like 35.
The problem is that I'm predicted 45, which i'm guessing that any acceptances will be based on

(Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
When kids get offers, they usually stop caring about school work. They get lazy becuase they know they are already accepted at a university they want to go to. This results in dropping of grades, and lower exam scores. Yale is aware of this and they want to prevent this so they scare you into keeping up your effort in school.

(Original post by Agneisse)
In theory they can take back your offer for almost any valid reason and frequently send threatening letters warning you to continue working hard blah blah. In practice, however, (from anecdotal experience at my school) students have applied with straight As and then fallen to Bs and Cs in their high school second semester grades and still kept their places without much sweat. Generally for IB, you have to fail your Diploma to not get in.

So, pretty hard to get an offer rescinded. Unless you do a Blair Hornstein

Thanks for this, it makes me feel more at ease
LSEfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=nish81]The problem is that I'm predicted 45, which i'm guessing that any acceptances will be based on

45 is fanrastic. only 65 ppl in the world get that. good luck
queenofdiamonds
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my experience with US universities once you are accepted you really have to screw up to have your offer revoked, like epic fail all your classes. I wouldn't loose too much sleep on it, just do the best you can.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This phenomenon is known as 'senioritis'. We don't suffer it over here in the UK because we have to work to meet our conditional offers. :p:
CanBeAPineapple
Rep:
?
I don't much have a problem with senioritis
queenofdiamonds
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
This phenomenon is known as 'senioritis'. We don't suffer it over here in the UK because we have to work to meet our conditional offers. :p:
Senioritis kept me sane my final year in high school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.95%
Pro-humanity (167)
54.05%

Watched Threads