The Student Room Group

Oxford Music – Written Work Submission

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and had a question about the written work submission at Oxford for music.

The Oxford website for music (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/music) tells me that I have to submit written work. I understand what all of the requirements are, except for this one:

"One or two examples of teacher-marked harmony and counterpoint (eg Baroque chorale, 16th-century counterpoint, 2-part invention, string quartet, Romantic songs). We understand that not all students are formally taught this as part of their course. We ask that all students do attempt an exercise if they can."

Does this mean I have to submit an analysis of harmony/counterpoint (e.g., an analysis of an existing string quartet or 2-part invention) or my own composition of harmony/counterpoint?

Thank you for your help!
It actually means neither of those things (though I totally get that the wording is a bit confusing if you've not formally studied harmony or counterpoint before)! They're asking you to complete an exercise where part of the music is given, and then you have to fill in the rest stylistically (i.e. according to the harmony/counterpoint conventions of that time). The most common thing to submit for this is a four-part Bach chorale exercise where the first bar or two gives all four parts, and then after that only the bass line is given and you have to use your knowledge of Bach-style harmony and counterpoint to continue the melody and add the two harmony parts in the middle.

Does this explanation make sense? It's a hard thing to explain in words. Let me know if you don't understand (won't blame you at all, I'm allergic to harmony/counterpoint so am never good at explaining it :tongue: ) and I will try and find screenshot examples on Google Images for you :yep:

TLG
Oxford music alumna (Worcester College, 2007-2010)
Reply 3

Thank you for your reply. I actually have learned harmony in the past, where I'd write the roman numeral analysis and fill in the missing notes based on a given bass note or melody progression and based on my knowledge of what notes of the chord I have to put in or can omit. Would this be a valid exercise to submit for this requirement?
Original post by hchae2023
Thank you for your reply. I actually have learned harmony in the past, where I'd write the roman numeral analysis and fill in the missing notes based on a given bass note or melody progression and based on my knowledge of what notes of the chord I have to put in or can omit. Would this be a valid exercise to submit for this requirement?

That should be fine as long as you're putting the notes in, yeah :biggrin:

Quick Reply