Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm looking in to purchasing the Toshiba Satellite Laptop A300 1MC for £499 from John Lewis, with a free 2 year warranty.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230512451/Product.aspx

Does anyone know have any reviews or opinions of this laptop?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. All in all Its a powerful laptop. fast and clear viewing through hdmi port. Does not have s-video as some sites state. wifi is very good, webcam producers clear images.
    Watch out when you first fire it up, only right speaker works, in order to get left working I had to open Windows Media Centre (not the player, but centre). Tried all settings before that but it only kicked in after entering the center. The on board graphics will be ok for most ordinary games but remember this is not a game playable laptop.
    Any where else want £120 for a extra year on the warranty, so bear this in mind. The dvd-rw player is a panasonic (******** uj880a) and plays fine. Also its fitted with a Intel mobile centrino processor which it better on the move (battery life). The max ram is 8gb with 3gb fitted (2+1) and the hard drive is split in half upon starting up oem. I have had mine a few days and found no reason to moarn about the purchase .
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I am also thinking of getting this laptop. IfYouEver, did you end up getting it? What do either of you think of the glossy keyboard - e.g. hassle of cleaning the fingerprints, how much they show up.

Also as I'm taking mine back to NZ, can you tell me by looking at the battery pack adaptor what the plug looks like?? At the adaptor box you can pull out the cord (for more compact travel etc), and it has a distinct shape. Here's a list http://www.stayonline.com/reference-iec320.aspx , if you could help me by pointing out which it is I would be very much obliged

ReputationRep:
    OP have you considered this?

ReputationRep:
    any more happpy reviews?

ReputationRep:
    More news on the A300 1MC..
    although this model does not come with the glossy keyboard, I think I perfer it to the glossy one. It seems more and more people are moarning about cleaning it. Please dont forget to make a restore disc when you take it out of the box. Otherwise it could be pointless weeks later,when its full of rubbish from the net (takes 2 DVDS to make a recovery/restore disc).
    Little pointers to watch for are failed pixels on the screen,not to say there will be any but have a good look. Try turning the screen different colours and seeing if you can spot any,if you find a few, take it back.

The drivers to watch for updates are the bios & sound, as these are updated quite regular. ANOTHER GOOD TIP IS TO REMOVE THE BATTERY WHEN USED ON MAINS, AS THIS KEEPS BATTERY LIFE TO MAX, (I think I have only used the battery for about an hour since new "5 months").

Also if the media lights get on your wick (the feather lite ones you can turn them off permantly) if you require help doing this just ask. I think also they have upgraded the mains charger as well, as this switches itself off if you unplug the laptop,but leave the charger on. You have to switch it off my the main plug on the wall and count to 10 and back on again.

Well I hope thats tickled your fancies. Have fun

SkippyTv.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.