The Student Room Group

year 13 maths students

what spec are you, what point of the spec are you on, and how are you finding it?
Reply 1
i do edexcel but my school doesn’t teach in order - we only do pure in Y12 (content from both years) and we finish the last few pure topics and do all of stats and mechanics in Y13. pure is definitely my strong suit, i’ve not started mechanics at all yet and stats seems to be going fine! currently doing year 2 integration for pure and data interpretation for stats

how are you finding it and what spec do you do?
Original post by m184
i do edexcel but my school doesn’t teach in order - we only do pure in Y12 (content from both years) and we finish the last few pure topics and do all of stats and mechanics in Y13. pure is definitely my strong suit, i’ve not started mechanics at all yet and stats seems to be going fine! currently doing year 2 integration for pure and data interpretation for stats

how are you finding it and what spec do you do?

i do aqa, which is so annoying coz almost all resources are for edexcel. we completed year 1 maths in year 12, mech deserved to go to jail. We are doing pure year 2 now, and its not that bad . hopefully it gets better tho. AT what month do you think your school would be done with content?
Reply 3
Original post by lollapoalso
i do aqa, which is so annoying coz almost all resources are for edexcel. we completed year 1 maths in year 12, mech deserved to go to jail. We are doing pure year 2 now, and its not that bad . hopefully it gets better tho. AT what month do you think your school would be done with content?

hahaha yeah i’ve only heard bad things about mechanics so i’m not looking forward to that. a lot of pure year 2 is just an extension of year 1 except for a few topics so that isn’t too bad! i asked my teacher and she said we should be done around february but i’ve got no idea, what about you?
Original post by m184
hahaha yeah i’ve only heard bad things about mechanics so i’m not looking forward to that. a lot of pure year 2 is just an extension of year 1 except for a few topics so that isn’t too bad! i asked my teacher and she said we should be done around february but i’ve got no idea, what about you?

my teacher said around mid march
I’m not in year 13, but everybody make sure you watch tlmaths
Original post by Faisal101
I’m not in year 13, but everybody make sure you watch tlmaths

never watched him but heard he is good
im edexcel and my teachers teach year 1 pure and first few topics of year 2 pure in year one and all f mechanics in year 1 then do year 2 pure and stats at the end for year 2. seems to be going well nothing really that hard in mechanics
Original post by charlie.R.12
never watched him but heard he is good

I was taught personally by him for a few months. Absolute goat
Original post by Faisal101
I was taught personally by him for a few months. Absolute goat

In person? if so thats quite cool. Hes one of the youtube channels my college links to for help but i normally just use solution banks if i dont get a question. Tbh with a levels i dont think the actual content is that bad its just some of the end questions in the text book can take some time to rap our head round.
I'm probably biased but Mechanics is my favourite bit (I'm talking as an ex-teacher). However there are definitely teachers out there who are teaching Mechanics but are not confident about it, resulting in students who don't like that branch of Maths.
Original post by tiny hobbit
I'm probably biased but Mechanics is my favourite bit (I'm talking as an ex-teacher). However there are definitely teachers out there who are teaching Mechanics but are not confident about it, resulting in students who don't like that branch of Maths.

i think mechanics is alright i never found it too bad as quite alot of it was physics based. I heard someone say that there is year 2 ppure in mechanics but we covered all of mechanics in year 1 before year 2 pure and i never saw any except from one question where it was Sin (A+60) and didnt know the rule at that time. As an ex teacher do you know if there i year 2 pure in mechanics or is it more just adding year 2 pure making quesions more comlicated but the fundamental mechanic principles dont require year 2 knowledge on pure?
In person? if so thats quite cool. Hes one of the youtube channels my college links to for help but i normally just use solution banks if i dont get a question. Tbh with a levels i dont think the actual content is that bad its just some of the end questions in the text book can take some time to rap our head round.

Yeah In person. He looks even shorter in person
Original post by lollapoalso

Heya!
Have you checked out this Physics and maths past paper resources? They should have AQA resources for maths :h: Pure maths is quite heavy in content so good luck with it! Mechanics content depends on whether you did physics or not. For people who have physics, it's very easy, personally, I didn't do physics so it was a bit challenging/new but manageable with enough practice.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
i think mechanics is alright i never found it too bad as quite alot of it was physics based. I heard someone say that there is year 2 ppure in mechanics but we covered all of mechanics in year 1 before year 2 pure and i never saw any except from one question where it was Sin (A+60) and didnt know the rule at that time. As an ex teacher do you know if there i year 2 pure in mechanics or is it more just adding year 2 pure making quesions more comlicated but the fundamental mechanic principles dont require year 2 knowledge on pure?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is no new Mechanics in the Year 2 Pure. However you are likely to need to use Year 2 Pure in Mechanics questions. The most obvious example is the Mechanics questions involving differentiation and integration. You will be expected to used your Year 2 Pure in those questions, e.g. differentiating sin x
Original post by tiny hobbit
I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is no new Mechanics in the Year 2 Pure. However you are likely to need to use Year 2 Pure in Mechanics questions. The most obvious example is the Mechanics questions involving differentiation and integration. You will be expected to used your Year 2 Pure in those questions, e.g. differentiating sin x

yea that answered it. Its because i have done mechanics test in year 1 without doing any of year 2 pure

Quick Reply

Latest