Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    http://www.oxfordradcliffe.nhs.uk/findus/jr.aspx

"The JR, which has 616 beds, is the largest of the Trust’s hospitals. It houses many departments of Oxford University Medical School, and is the base for most medical students who are trained throughout the Trust. "

ok, well i had been told that oxford students had to go somewhere else for their clinical practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    ok, well i had been told that oxford students had to go somewhere else for their clinical practice
    They can choose to go to London Unis but they don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    I think people on here are grossly overestimating the returns to a medical degree. Medicine is not a ticket to fast money, you will not be earning big money until you reach consultant level (unless you are a GP) and even then "big" means something like 90k. You are also by no means guaranteed to ever become a consultant. There are plenty of registrars in their 50s about.
    Don't you consider "big" to be 90k??

I do. But then again I'm still not for medicine. If you look at the medical pay per HOUR then it's probably quite poor compared to Engineering. Unless you're a GP which is a very hard position to get also, and still takes years of training, and your foundation years in a hospital.

ReputationRep:

It wasn't difficult to find information on it through Google. It's always worth checking things if you don't actually know.

ReputationRep:
    They can choose to go to London Unis but they don't have to.
    ok then im wrong - but i had been told that they must leave

still wouldn't want to go to oxbridge for medicine though, even though i easily have the grades

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't difficult to find information on it through Google. It's always worth checking things if you don't actually know.
    someone told me they must leave oxford though - it may have been my tutor last year who has dealt with most medicine applications for years

anyway, why would i want to google it if i never want to go there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    Don't you consider "big" to be 90k??

I do. But then again I'm still not for medicine. If you look at the medical pay per HOUR then it's probably quite poor compared to Engineering. Unless you're a GP which is a very hard position to get also, and still takes years of training, and your foundation years in a hospital.
    90k is a good salary but considering that even after 6 years of study and 30 years of practice you are by no means guaranteed it, I would not encourage people to go into medicine for the financial prospects. You will almost certainly be making 90k in your third year out of university if you go into banking, or in your 4th/5th year in some instances if you do corporate law.

ReputationRep:
    ok then im wrong - but i had been told that they must leave

still wouldn't want to go to oxbridge for medicine though, even though i easily have the grades
    That's great (?).

ReputationRep:
    That's great (?).
    im saying that the accademics wouldn't be putting me off oxbridge, it is other factors

ReputationRep:

anyway, why would i want to google it if i never want to go there

To find out if what you're saying is correct or not...?

I don't want to go there, I'm happily ensconced in my politics degree in London, but I googled it.

ReputationRep:
    im saying that the accademics wouldn't be putting me off oxbridge, it is other factors
    If you had just said "I still wouldn't want to go to Oxbridge for medicine" I would not have thought "yea, coz she don't have the grades innit", but ok.

ReputationRep:
    To find out if what you're saying is correct or not...?

I don't want to go there, I'm happily ensconced in my politics degree in London, but I googled it.
    but if i think the information has come from a reputable source (and im not referencing it in an essay) then there is no point in usin google. especially when i am meant to be writing an essay/cutting out words

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody else getting the feeling FTC199 actually has no idea what shes talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    Well whether you're an Engineer or a Doctor, I don't hand out respect based on professions. I hand out respect based on achievements and the motivations behind them.

A large proportion of Doctors out there are Doctors because of the money, the status, and parental pressure. So even if they are savings lives, the motives couldn't be further removed from 'wanting to help people'. So no, these people get none of my respect, regardless of how much their profession demands it. There's nothing noble about greed or ego.

Sure, there are Engineers out there with the same motives, but considerably less so, given that the status of Engineering in this country is a lot less so than it should be. And also, as we've confirmed, if you want big money, then you go for banking/medicine/dentistry, not Engineering.

I have every respect for the Doctor who gets his rewards from seeing the patient walk through the doors at the end of their therapy, and absolutely no respect for the Doctor who gets his rewards when he checks his bank balance. I have every respect for the Engineer who gets his rewards from seeing his idea change and improve the world, and no respect for the Engineer who gets his rewards from his bank balance. It just so happens that the latter folk are much more dense in Medicine than Engineering.
    I really dunno what the hell they've gone and put in the water up in Scotland, but down here in England, literally all of my mates who are doing some type of engineering course, or will be doing an engineering course are doing so in the solid belief that there will be ********* of cash waiting for them on the otherside.

ReputationRep:
    If you had just said "I still wouldn't want to go to Oxbridge for medicine" I would not have thought "yea, coz she don't have the grades innit", but ok.
    maybe not, but someone earlier (mush) was ****ging off people because they dont work "quite as hard as him" in their first year and gave the impression he thought he was superior because he did more work yet probably gets the same grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    Is anybody else getting the feeling FTC199 actually has no idea what shes talking about?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    i actually do know what i am talking about but i am trying to multi-task and do about 4 things at once because i am that tight for time with my workload

ReputationRep:
    Engineering is deffo not a dead end.

Do what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    oxford students have to go somewhere else for their clinical years. it is the same as st andrews
    That is not true. Not all Oxford students go somewhere else some do, but a significant proportion stay and do their clinical years in Oxford. If you are going to argue something so strongly please make sure its correct.

I'm a medic, boyfriend is an engineer who graduates next year. **** noble, yes its nice but that isn't why I do medicine. And I don't do it for the money either. My boyfriend and I have been trawling through graduate placement schemes to find ones he wants and the starting salary for engineers is slightly higher than for doctors. That said my salary will rise at a faster rate, but thats by the by.

There is plenty of scope for engineers if you are ambitious and know what you want.

If you want money and that is your main concern and then you choose medicine then you're an idiot. Go and do something where you're not responsible for people's lives.

There are lots of stereotypes coming out here which show a lack of education on both sides. From what I can tell engineering and medicine aren't that different.

ReputationRep:
    i actually do know what i am talking about but i am trying to multi-task and do about 4 things at once because i am that tight for time with my workload

No, you don't as far as Oxford is concerned. Just Google it next time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.