Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my school says to choose 3 HL and 3 SL, but i want to take 4 HL, is that possible?

My parents say that if universities look at your main 3 HL, taking 4 HL would give better chance, is that true? Since you have 4...

Thanks!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yes it is possible, but pointless

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's possible. It's not that hard, it's just a couple of extra lessons a week.

However, it doesn't affect your points score and universities won't really care, except it might show you have a decent work ethic.

ReputationRep:
    i think your grades would be lower as a result.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only recommend it if you're taking HL Math, so that you can drop it if it gets too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danomind)
    my school says to choose 3 HL and 3 SL, but i want to take 4 HL, is that possible?

My parents say that if universities look at your main 3 HL, taking 4 HL would give better chance, is that true? Since you have 4...

Thanks!
    Yes, you can take 4, but lots of unis look at your IB point total strongly and e.g. a 7 in SL Maths may well look better than a 4/5 in HL Maths, even though the latter requires more work (assuming this is a non-Mathsy subject) so there is really no need to torture yourself with 4. It's also much more work.

Take the fourth HL out of interest and not for unis, and drop it at the end of IB1 if it's too stressful.

ReputationRep:
    You can do it, but it would be a much bigger hassle...

ReputationRep:
    There's really no point. It will only lower your total point score.

ReputationRep:
    only take 4 if you're not struggling with 3. Take one which you can drop (like maths HL, or language A2/ languge B or science or something. Or take it if you know you're good at it. (say if taking a language B or A2 HL you'll still get a 7, then why not?). But yes, there is a risk that it will reduce your overall grade, and that's not good.

ReputationRep:
    yes....
    dont do it though. i really regret my choices......
    just SO much work!!

Most people who take 4 drop one down to standard at the end of the first year - just because it's a lot to take on for really no extra credit. Ur just making things unnecessarily harder for yourself. If you got like a 7 in all four highers then uni's would be impressed, but otherwise they might just wander why you bothered giving urself that extra hassle....and tbh if ur getting 7's in ur highers then ur sorted because Oxford and Cambridge accept a 6, 6, 7 or better in your highers. I'd really only recommend taking it if you're not yet sure which ones you want to take and higher and then just drop one down when you decide
    Good Luck with what ever you choose tho.
    XxxxX

ReputationRep:
    But doesn't it increase your chances at getting 7,7,7 if you have 4??

You can get 7.7,7 for the 3 main HL and if you fail 1 HL, and get a 3, then you would still have 3 7s!

(Original post by Danomind)
    But doesn't it increase your chances at getting 7,7,7 if you have 4??

You can get 7.7,7 for the 3 main HL and if you fail 1 HL, and get a 3, then you would still have 3 7s!
    I wouldn't think so.... bearing in mind it is actually harder to get a 7 at higher level than standard, it doesn't make it more likely for you to get 777 really.... They look at your highers but they do look at your over all points and it will be harder to get full marks if you opt for an extra higher level (and it's REALLY hard to get full marks anyway, as in less 0.2% or something like that getting it!) Most people who take 4 highers end up dropping one to standard in the end anyway.
    If you did fail one HL and get a 3 then it would look worse then just getting 766 or something. I'm not saying you shouldn't take 4 HL, just bear in mind that it's not for everyone, and if you find that out too late the consequences could be pretty catastrophic :eek:
    Soz if i'm depressing you here! lol. I'm not trying to.

XxxxX

ReputationRep:
    im just depressed cuz my parents want me to take chem HL and i don't want to

ReputationRep:
    If you don't need it for a course at Uni as a requirement (e.g. Medicine) and you don't like it, don't do it. HL Chemistry is HARD. You do not want to be slogging through a hard subject you neither like nor want to take...

ReputationRep:
    I need it for my future career...............

ReputationRep:
    it's possible, but unis dont really care that you do 4 HLs in general. it can be strategic - i.e. you can take four if you're not sure about whether you want to do HL physics or chem for example, and so later keep the option of dropping one of them open.

ReputationRep:
    so um, which other subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    Could you list your current choices for IB? It'd be easier for us to help you that way.

ReputationRep:
    you can, but you then need to get 16 core points minimum in your HL's to get the diploma.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.