The Student Room Group

Does Oxford PPE require A level history

I’m currently an Y12 student studying A levels in an international school in China. Our school offers A level history, but sadly I didn’t choose it. My current subjects are Maths, economics and biology.
I’ve read a lot of history books and I’m very interested in history as well.
Is A level history a very important part when it comes to applying to this course?
Does not choosing A level history decrease my application competitiveness a lot?
If I did well on my TSAs but didn’t choose A level history, is there still a fair possibility that I would still get in?
What do Oxford say about this on their PPE webpage?
they say history may be helpful but it's not essential so you should be fine

have a read of this:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics
Reply 3
here’s what I found on their course listing:

“It is recommended for candidates to have studied Mathematics to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another equivalent.

You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied Politics, Philosophy or Economics. History can provide a useful background, but is not essential.”

basically yes, you’re fine!
It is marked green(It says that its helpful-- Might be useful on course
Thank you guys a lot!
it says that it's helpful but not essential, i think (so no worries if you don't have it it won't count against you) - but if you're interested in doing a level history is it too late to switch/add a 4th now?
Original post by qiqi7777777
I’m currently an Y12 student studying A levels in an international school in China. Our school offers A level history, but sadly I didn’t choose it. My current subjects are Maths, economics and biology.
I’ve read a lot of history books and I’m very interested in history as well.
Is A level history a very important part when it comes to applying to this course?
Does not choosing A level history decrease my application competitiveness a lot?
If I did well on my TSAs but didn’t choose A level history, is there still a fair possibility that I would still get in?

Heya!
On the Oxford website, it says it is helpful to have History but it is not essential:h: You should be fine as long as you get AAA, and do well in the admissions test and interview. The course is very competitive so good luck! It could be helpful for you to read some articles on this website regarding the Oxford PPE, TSA and etc for your application.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest