The Student Room Group

What ethnicity do I resemble?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17UaGfFmAo4ng9v0MOO_WtFmd3gvKlB7Q/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17qWn-CIDzpRBw42N4UCp39CrAFtXQRbl/view?usp=sharing

I've been told I look Serbian, Croatian, Russian, Polish, Ukranian, German, and even been asked if I was Jewish by some Jews I met.
You just look like a standard white man to me. No sign of especially fine skin or hair so probably more Germanic/Roman DNA than Celtic or Viking.

You don't look especially slavik to me so I'd favour western or central Europe.

In short, you look a common British person.
Original post by Rakas21
You just look like a standard white man to me. No sign of especially fine skin or hair so probably more Germanic/Roman DNA than Celtic or Viking.

You don't look especially slavik to me so I'd favour western or central Europe.

In short, you look a common British person.

As it happens I'm 42% English, 14% Swedish-Danish, 2% German, 12% Scottish, 11% Irish and 19%...WELSH?

Never knew I had Welsh heritage but apparently I do. Might explain my dark hair. Then again, my Nan has Spanish ancestry but this hasn't showed up on my test.
Original post by Ferrograd
As it happens I'm 42% English, 14% Swedish-Danish, 2% German, 12% Scottish, 11% Irish and 19%...WELSH?

Never knew I had Welsh heritage but apparently I do. Might explain my dark hair. Then again, my Nan has Spanish ancestry but this hasn't showed up on my test.

About 40% of English and Scottish and Welsh DNA is Anglo-Saxon which is basically Germanic so basically your mostly Anglo Saxon and Viking which is not a shock.
You look like you enjoy a good scowl.
Original post by Rakas21
About 40% of English and Scottish and Welsh DNA is Anglo-Saxon which is basically Germanic so basically your mostly Anglo Saxon and Viking which is not a shock.

I thought Wales was never even settled by the anglos or vikings unless one or two coastal areas like Swansea?
Caucasian British with some Teutonic and Hellenic ancestry.
I thought Wales was never even settled by the anglos or vikings unless one or two coastal areas like Swansea?

There's a small area of West Wales that stayed mostly Celtic but the bulk of the Welsh population are those who were either Roman subjects or have settled across the border from England over the last thousand years or so.

Scientists have found no evidence that Welsh and Scottish DNA has any real difference from England across the population as a whole.

Well that clears that up, I thought you were Nigerian for a second.
i said Welsh straight away

:sheep:
Are you sure you're 100% human?

Don't want to be Martianist here
Original post by Rakas21
There's a small area of West Wales that stayed mostly Celtic but the bulk of the Welsh population are those who were either Roman subjects or have settled across the border from England over the last thousand years or so.

Scientists have found no evidence that Welsh and Scottish DNA has any real difference from England across the population as a whole.

Oh yeah - Scots are heavily Anglo. Though my surname has two origins, one of which is an Anglicisation of a Gaelic name from the ancient Dalridian kingdom. Then again, I've looked at my family tree and as far back as the 1700s, all of my family, at least on my paternal side, have lived in the East End of London. (or australia, probably all criminals lmao)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17UaGfFmAo4ng9v0MOO_WtFmd3gvKlB7Q/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17qWn-CIDzpRBw42N4UCp39CrAFtXQRbl/view?usp=sharing

I've been told I look Serbian, Croatian, Russian, Polish, Ukranian, German, and even been asked if I was Jewish by some Jews I met.

Romanian too
I was once told I look Eastern European and that's very much my ancestry :smile:
Original post by JVM2020
I was once told I look Eastern European and that's very much my ancestry :smile:

I always get told that but there's no Eastern European in my DNA, though my nan has some in hers, just says "Balkans", which is around 8%, and Eastern Europe, around 2%. But nothing on my test so maybe i didn't inherit any.
European (aware that I'm pointing out the obvious).

Quick Reply

Latest